Photos of "New Style" Piantedosi stop section?

Commercial tracks.
Jetmugg
Pine Head
Pine Head

Photos of "New Style" Piantedosi stop section?

Post by Jetmugg »

A local Girl Scout Troop that I work with has an older (maybe 10 years) Piantedosi aluminum 6 lane track that has the older style stop sections which fit "over" the lanes. The problem with this design is that it leaves a lip on the overhang which can and does cause damage to the front wheels of cars when they catch this lip. I would like to purchase and install the newer style stop section.

I thought that I had seen them before, but can't find any photos of the newer style stop section that has been redesigned. Any photos or leads would be appreciated.

SteveM.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Photos of "New Style" Piantedosi stop section?

Post by gpraceman »

Here's a photo someone recently posted. Though, the stop section should never hang off a table like that. :eek: I always put a rolled up towel or jacket at the end as a final "just in case" precaution.

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Jetmugg wrote:I thought that I had seen them before, but can't find any photos of the newer style stop section that has been redesigned. Any photos or leads would be appreciated.
Does this post help? (Note there's also a link to follow in the post.)
Jetmugg
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jetmugg »

Yes, that photo and link help. I have also contacted Microwizard to see if they have any "official" information about retrofitting onto an existing track. If the new stop section extends the overall length of the track, I think we might want to move the finish line location a little farther down the track as well. I don't see any reason for the cars to travel 4 feet or so past the finish line before reaching the stop section.

SteveM.
Jetmugg
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jetmugg »

...... and I definitely don't like the idea of mounting the entire track up on those tables. The gymnasium floor looks like a much safer and more even option.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Uh, don't like it much either.
Curve on track is a little too aggressive. Cars with 5/8 or less CM will probably pop wheelies, any joint dysfunction will make them jump off center guide.

I do like the color coded lanes.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

rpcarpe wrote:Curve on track is a little too aggressive. Cars with 5/8 or less CM will probably pop wheelies, any joint dysfunction will make them jump off center guide.
Actually, the Piantedosi/MicroWizard tracks have a pretty gentle curve compared to the machine bent curve of a Best Track. I run quite a few races with this brand of track and rarely do I see any cars come out of their lane.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I don't mean to pick on anyone's race, or specific to this photo (which is just a quick snap in time). But in the interest of a constructive 'critique'...I agree on table stability/level issues, I way agree on the stop section plan-B area.

But I also point out the sterility of the track. We too 'tape off' our track area to keep busy hands, potato chips, and other interference. We also keep a small lane for car returns. But look how far the audience seems to be positioned. Get your audience and especially racers up closer to the action. They went to the effort of placing on tables (presumably to increase visibility), but then kept everyone at bay. (Again photo may distort the issue, we can't see other side of track, etc...so may not have been so far in person, or could be close to gym bleachers where main audience is...)

Other coordinators looking this over - do protect the track and the integrity of the cars racing, but try to make your racers feel up close and a part of the race. Almost as if they were envisioning themselves as the driver and experiencing each joint and guide bump along the way. [[if that happens then convince them to go try soap box derby :) ]]
BestTrack
Merchant
Merchant

Post by BestTrack »

FatSebastian wrote:
Jetmugg wrote:I thought that I had seen them before, but can't find any photos of the newer style stop section that has been redesigned. Any photos or leads would be appreciated.
Does this post help? (Note there's also a link to follow in the post.)
To avoid any confusion with the link, I want to clarify that the track and stop section shown in the photos of the Bluegrass Nationals are a BestTrack. The stop lane dividers were custom made for the track. The timer is a MicroWizard.

Steve
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

BestTrack wrote:To avoid any confusion with the link, I want to clarify that the track and stop section shown in the photos of the Bluegrass Nationals are a BestTrack. The stop lane dividers were custom made for the track. The timer is a MicroWizard.
??? The photos referred to in this thread were of a Piantedosi/MicroWizard track. Not sure how BGN entered the discussion, so you've got me confused now.
Randy Lisano

BestTrack
Merchant
Merchant

Post by BestTrack »

gpraceman wrote:
BestTrack wrote:To avoid any confusion with the link, I want to clarify that the track and stop section shown in the photos of the Bluegrass Nationals are a BestTrack. The stop lane dividers were custom made for the track. The timer is a MicroWizard.
??? The photos referred to in this thread were of a Piantedosi/MicroWizard track. Not sure how BGN entered the discussion, so you've got me confused now.
Sorry to confuse you. If you follow the “link” in the thread it takes you to a page with several of MicroWizard’s photo albums, and the Bluegrass National’s Album is currently showing a picture of the BestTrack stop section. The pictures contained within the album are of the BestTrack track and stop system with MicroWizard’s timer. Since the topic of this thread is ‘Photos of "New Style" Piantedosi stop section?’, I thought this might be confusing to those who follow the “link” and see a picture of the BestTrack stop section displayed.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

BestTrack wrote:Sorry to confuse you. If you follow the “link” in the thread it takes you to a page with several of MicroWizard’s photo albums, and the Bluegrass National’s Album is currently showing a picture of the BestTrack stop section. The pictures contained within the album are of the BestTrack track and stop system with MicroWizard’s timer. Since the topic of this thread is ‘Photos of "New Style" Piantedosi stop section?’, I thought this might be confusing to those who follow the “link” and see a picture of the BestTrack stop section displayed.
Ah, I see what you mean now, but that just applies to the "Bluegrass Nationals" album on that page. Thanks for un-confusing me.
Randy Lisano