Track design

DIY tracks.
lesham
Apprentice
Apprentice

Track design

Post by lesham »

:?: This is a new venture for me. Can anyone tell me where I can get details on how to build an inexpensive track?
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Track design

Post by Cory »

lesham wrote:
:?: This is a new venture for me. Can anyone tell me where I can get details on how to build an inexpensive track?
I would start at these two places:

http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/pwd-tracks.html

http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/derby/resource.html#tracks
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

I just completed a building a 3-lane track for my church and boyscout troop to share. After looking for designs I narrowed it down to two designs: Larry Bosworth's from Pinewood Derby Supersite, and Darrin Mcgrew's design from Shape N Race Derby site. I finally settled on Bosworth's plastic laminate design. I finished it the 1st week of march. The only thing is that Bosworth's starting box and drop gate design is a bit intense, but you can easily adapt any other simpler drop gate design to it.
I also just ordered an Microwizzard finishline system yesterday for it at a
steal of an price. If you would like to discuss anything please e-mail me back.
Good Luck! GILLS
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Since you included the word "inexpensive", have a look at
http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=371
from about 3 months ago. It is a pretty good plan ... one I intend to adopt for some special event area at our next District PWD.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

lesham wrote:
Just some more unsolicited comments:

My Pack's old track was the Cub Scout leader's How-to track. It is a very simple and efficient design. I highly recommend the drop-down legs, which you'll also find in Darin's design. They are plenty stable, and it makes storage and transport much easier. The how-to track starting gate can be adapted to be a spring-open gate, and that makes it a pretty good one.

Build a track with at least three lanes.

Build a track that uses standard lane spacings. This gives you more choices as to finish lines.

Building a real good track requires a lot of precision. If you're an experienced carpenter with lots of high-end tools (drill press, table saw, mitre saw, etc.) then you're good to go. If not, then you're in my shoes and I think you should do what I did -- surround yourself with experienced carpenters and high-end tools.