Classic Track Assemble Help Needed

DIY tracks.
sportsandspeed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Classic Track Assemble Help Needed

Post by sportsandspeed »

Howdy. I was given an old PWD track to use for an outdoor event. Nobody wanted to use their tracks in case of weather. Anyway, the pack that gave it to me hadn't used it in years, and nobody seems to know how it goes together. I'm not even sure I have all the parts needed. I was hoping some of our more senior members might have some ideas. I took a few pics for your viewing pleasure. There are also 6 conduit poles with holes in the end (I can't get that pic to upload for some reason). I was thinking they would attach to those metal plates to elevate the track, but they are like 6 feet long. Obviously, the ends of each section slide together, but there is nothing to hold them together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Classic Track Assemble Help Needed

Post by whodathunkit »

:welcome: Sportsandspeed,

Wow! now you really have an old classic home made track.
From the photos you posted on the 2nd and last photos showing the under side of the track sections,
like you, I think you have some missing parts..
To me it looks like some all thread rod with washers and nuts could be used to hold the track sections together.

You say you have 6 conduit poles with holes drilled in the ends that are about 6 ft long?
Having 6 of them makes me think that these are the track legs. (but then you never know!)
if 4 of them were longer and 4 shorter? (or so on!)
Think of the 4 longer conduit poles as the (x) or crossing braces for the legs.
Does your track have holes or mounting plates along the sides of track on the start sections for the legs to bolt to?
If so you may need to run down to a hardware store for more supplies like nuts and bolts if these are missing as well.
As much as I hate to say it i'v been in your shoes with an old wood tack myself.
You never know what parts are missing or if you have them all to set the track up.
I had to put lots of work into this track to get it ready run any cars down it.
It was in very bad shape when I got it off a pack in my area.
A total top replacement and lanes rebuild had to be done.
photos of track..
Don't know how well you can see the track section clips on this one.
But it uses 2/ L shaped brackets with holes drilled that the sections bolt together,
with long bolts and wing nuts to hold the sections together.
Here is a close up pic of one of the track section brackets.
Even the start gate was a total rebuild.
Just trying to find parts to get the ol' LaneBrain up and running was a challange in itself.

Good luck on getting your classic track together Sportsandspeed,
Mark.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sportsandspeed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by sportsandspeed »

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was thinking when I went to sleep the other night regarding the threaded rod and connecting the track sections together. There are no holes or any other devices to attach legs or anything to the sections. I was thinking of fabricating something using pvc piping as I have some supply of that available to me (free - always the right price). Since this track is straight and doesn't have the curve like "modern" tracks, I'm guessing i will have to have some sort of supports for each section and will have to drill holes in the sides to attach the piping unless someone has a better idea. How high do you think the start of the track should be? Three or four feet? Since there is no flat section, I won't have to worry about cars limping across the finish line.....
Thanks,
sportsandspeed
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The BSA book shows a 4 foot height at the start section. If I'm understanding correctly, this is a constant Incline track. If you want to slow the race down you could set the start at a lower height. On a side note, If this track is being left to rot, perhaps you could acquire it if you're interested. A permanent curved section could be built and you would have a track patterned after the "Best" track. Good Luck with your race.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

sportsandspeed wrote:Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was thinking when I went to sleep the other night regarding the threaded rod and connecting the track sections together. There are no holes or any other devices to attach legs or anything to the sections. I was thinking of fabricating something using pvc piping as I have some supply of that available to me (free - always the right price). Since this track is straight and doesn't have the curve like "modern" tracks, I'm guessing i will have to have some sort of supports for each section and will have to drill holes in the sides to attach the piping unless someone has a better idea. How high do you think the start of the track should be? Three or four feet? Since there is no flat section, I won't have to worry about cars limping across the finish line.....
Thanks,
sportsandspeed

Did you find use for the conduits?
If not, just wanted to explain a bit more, that two of them can be crossed and one bolted to the bottom of the leg that runs across the underneath side of the track and be fastened at joint sections with the all thread rod instead of running along the sides of the track.

This should get you close to that 4ft height.. It would help to know the distance between the bolt holes under the track sections and if 2 of the conduits were not as long as 6ft for the next set of legs.
Speedster wrote:The BSA book shows a 4 foot height at the start section. If I'm understanding correctly, this is a constant Incline track. If you want to slow the race down you could set the start at a lower height. On a side note, If this track is being left to rot, perhaps you could acquire it if you're interested. A permanent curved section could be built and you would have a track patterned after the "Best" track. Good Luck with your race.
I agree with Speedster, some of us have to race on whatever track we can untell the investment of Best track, or other type of track, can be made. It is possible to bring older tracks back to life :) especially for outside races.

Best of luck,
Whoda
sportsandspeed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by sportsandspeed »

Ok - finally got a chance to put everything together. I found some 6" bolts to pull the track sections together. Still don't know what the conduits were used for - here's a pic:

There are 2 sections that are 97.5 inches long, 2 that are 98", 1 that is 96:, and the last one is 92". There are no holes or anything on the track that even looks like these belong.

I am going to build a stand out of PVC pipe to elevate the track into position.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.

Jim
sportsandspeed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by sportsandspeed »

Rats! Don't know why the pic won't display. Here is a link: http://tinypic.com/r/nn38nd/6" target="_blank
Jim
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

sportsandspeed wrote:Ok - finally got a chance to put everything together. I found some 6" bolts to pull the track sections together. Still don't know what the conduits were used for - here's a pic:

I am going to build a stand out of PVC pipe to elevate the track into position.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas

Jim
Jim, that pvc pipe might be the way to go.

Whoda.