Track damage from Open Class cars?

General track discussions.
rcmoeur
Pine Head
Pine Head

Track damage from Open Class cars?

Post by rcmoeur »

Hi! I'm new to the group, having been "volunteered" to co-chair our District Pinewood Derby (and the Pack's, of course).

We're finalizing plans & rules for the District Derby. We're thinking about adding several levels of Open Class to increase registration revenue (and also because some of the Packs like the idea):
  • "Stock Class": all rules apply except not limited to Cub Scouts
    "Plummet Class": must fit on track & be gravity-power only
    "Zoom Class": must fit on track, but no combustion, nothing that can obviously damage track, spectators, etc.
One minor concern: the Pack that owns the track that we're borrowing for District is somewhat concerned that heavy or powered cars could damage their hard-earned investment (a 4-lane aluminum track - not sure of the make).

Have any of you experienced or reliably heard of instances where a track was damaged by a heavy / powered / other cars? I need to know this so we can make some rational decisions on whether to allow "non-stock" cars.

Thanks!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Track damage from Open Class cars?

Post by Speedster »

YEP !!!! It can happen although an aluminum track is probably more difficult to damage compared to a wood one. We go wild in The OUTLAWS. The timer is probably the item that will be damaged the most, possibly destroyed. We use to take the timer off and call them by "eye" but years ago we simply set 40 pound bags of salt in front of the timer mount. We have Micro-wizard timers so the salt bags protect the mount. I built 2 tracks many years ago and now use one of them only for The OUTLAWS. Aluminum tracks are becoming very popular which leaves a lot of old wood tracks collecting dust or getting cut up. Perhaps someone in the District has one you could use for the "Zoom Class". You might have to do away with the "Zoom Class" this year and build a simple wood track for next year where you don't care if it sustains damage. The OUTLAWS always seem to draw the biggest crowd and have the most fun. Good Luck.
rcmoeur
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rcmoeur »

Thanks for the feedback.

Then for right now I think we're going to keep everything 7" x 2 3/4" & 5 ounces, even in Open Class, and we'll see how it works out.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

You could just require that all cars for the open division be gravity powered. Otherwise, have a minimal set of rules. Where you are likely to see track damage is with powered cars, not with heavy weight cars.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'd like to explain our "OUTLAW" racing . It is not serious racing. This is done in our Pack, not our District. I have several Radio Controlled cars that cannot be beat. They never win a trophy. All cars are won by children and ladies. After I win a few races the back end of my car is lifted by the starter so it cannot move and cannot win and it makes the crowd laugh. Once in awhile we let an adult man win but not very often. I'm happy to say that many years ago a young man had a propeller driven car that won for 3 years in a row and today is a commercial airline pilot. Yes, I've been around for a long time. I see him now and then and we talk about when he was in the pinewood derby. My eyes get wet every time. I build 10 trophies each year for the OUTLAW race so at least 10 folks get an award. The OUTLAW race for us is "What can you build"?, and come show us. We had a blender go down the track one year and I never did hear the story on that one. I love the OUTLAW races because of the laughter and fun. However you choose to run your competition is, of course, up to you. Good Luck in your racing.
Cheers.
Bill (Speedster)
rcmoeur
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rcmoeur »

We just heard from the Pack that owns the track, and they're OK with the following:
  • - No taller than 4.5"
    - No heavier than 1 lb
    - No exposed metal except for axle heads
    - BSA wheels only
    - No combustion-based propulsion
So, it looks like we'll have some "more than stock" categories in our Open Class this year. :)

Once I get the rules rewritten & finished... :wall: I'll let you all know where you can see 'em.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

rcmoeur wrote:I'll let you all know where you can see 'em.
... here.