Best Track binder clip upgrade???

Commercial tracks.
dascomp51
Apprentice
Apprentice

Best Track binder clip upgrade???

Post by dascomp51 »

I'm looking for ideas on ways to upgrade my Best Track. I'd like to replace the binder clips to make setup easier. We run about 15 derbies a year and I'd like to make it easier to setup/tear-down.

Has anyone replaced the binder clips that hold the sections together? I've seen other track designs that use a latch mechanism to hold the sections together, but haven't seen any Best Tracks modified this way.

With all the people that use Best Tracks, it seems like someone must have come up with a better way than using binder clips.

Thoughts????

Thanks in advance,

Pinewood Nut
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Best Track binder clip upgrade???

Post by whodathunkit »

dascomp51,

This may sound alittle crazy but I think you'll like the idea for an upgrade.

What about useing aluminum or small metal C- channels that will slip over
the two connector angles under the track at the joints for the entire lenght across the track.

Drill and tap some treads for several thumb screws down one side of the channel to clamp and hold the connector angles together.
The c-channel clamp like the binder clips should lay flat under the track in the flat of the track.

Just an idea to look at..
that might work for a upgrade over useing the binder clips.

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best Track binder clip upgrade???

Post by gpraceman »

On a different forum, there was someone that proposed using draw latches. I don't know if anyone has actually tried these or not, but it may well be worth the time.

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.