Anyone manufacturing Wood Tracks for sale?

Commercial tracks.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Anyone manufacturing Wood Tracks for sale?

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

Anyone manufacturing Wood Tracks for sale? I found one that is edge guided but I was hoping for more the center rail plan similar to the scout plan. A best track is $750.00 so something less would be good.
W Racing!!!!
Dintlow
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Anyone manufacturing Wood Tracks for sale?

Post by Dintlow »

Try this link for a list of track manufacturers.

http://grandprix-race-central.com/index ... commercial
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

I think derby magic is your cheapest track option for a personal track. It is plastic though so it can build up static and collect debris. I read that can somehow also damage the wheels. Not sure if anyone has come up with a solution for plastic tracks to discharge any static build up. I think the stop section has been updated since that description was made in the link above. Looking at the other wood tracks you're not saving too much going with wood over aluminum.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

ngyoung wrote:I think the stop section has been updated since that description was made in the link above.
Looking at the photos on the Derby Magic website, there is still a hard stop at the end of the stop section. I'd hate for a fast car to smack into that. :eek: A minor design change would remove that as an issue.

Those stop strips (from any track manufacturer) degrade over time, so cars end up traveling further down the stop section before they come to a stop. I always put something at the end just to make sure no car goes flying off the end of the track. Lately, I've been using a memory foam pillow with good results at the end of our MW track.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

pwrd by tungsten wrote:Anyone manufacturing Wood Tracks for sale?
I asked this question of MicroWizard soon after they stopped marketing a wooden track option, as I knew of no other option in a commercial wooden track. At that time (several years ago now) they said they might be able to refer us to an individual who could still make a wooden track if we really wanted one. However, my impression was that wooden tracks were comparable in price and weight to the aluminum ones, and aluminum required less upkeep, hence the phase-out of commercial wooden tracks.

If going commercial, why not an aluminum track?
bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bracketracer »

PBT, I built the wooden track from these plans; http://www.pinewoodpro.com/images/GP%20 ... 0Plans.pdf
Cost about $400 in materials for a four lane track to build plus labor. Took me 80 hours. I'd offer to sell it to you, but the shipping from STL to Seattle would likely be prohibitive.