Freedom Track Mods

Commercial tracks.
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Freedom Track Mods

Post by asatxj »

Randy,
My track is in need of some serious polishing. Have you done it and what did you use? Also where did you get the cool timer in your photobucket? I might just have to get one of those!
Awana Commander
Jeep Fleet Maintenance Director
Dad
Bowhunter
I can't break the rules, I write them
!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

My track is anodized, so the only thing that it needs is a good wipe down with Simple Green or similar cleaner. We did that before our race on Nov 19th, to remove a years worth of graphite build up, and the track looks almost as good as new. Seeing that the track is 11 years old and does up to 15 races a year, that is saying a lot.

That timer is from Derby Timer. I did a review of it awhile back. Unfortunately, Pete is not able to dedicate a lot of time to his timers. He indicated that he might only do a handful of timers this season.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

We didn't get an anodized one. I generally clean it every time out but it needs some sprucing up after lots of use. I'll reach out to a couple companies and see what they say.
I guess I'll have to look for a used timer. I like my K2 but that is very cool.
Awana Commander
Dad
Bowhunter
!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The anodized coating is well worth the extra expense, but a bit late for you I know. If the K2 is working, why do you need another timer?
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Below is the latest mod to our Freedom track. My DIY solenoid gate stopped working for some reason. So, I decided to go ahead and get a commercial gate (the ESS unit).

I didn't like how the old solenoid would pull perpendicularly to the track lanes, so I had to devise a means to mount the unit so it would pull parallel to the lanes. I started out with a Best Track lever assembly, but that really wasn't suited for mounting to a Freedom track. So, I modified the track's start switch bracket so I could mount the trigger lever to it. That was basically adding a short piece of 1" L-angle to the bracket. The screws for mounting the start switch also mount the L-angle. That did require me to find some longer screws.

The solenoid itself is mounted temporarily to some 1/8" thick MDF and then velcroed under the track. This allowed me to play with the positioning of the solenoid to make sure that it was pulling the lever far enough to release the gate. I'll likely end up replacing that MDF with a piece of metal plate and drilling into the first lane so the plate can be screwed to the track.

I had to add a couple of rubber bands, one to keep the lever engaged with the gate and the other to keep the solenoid plunger from popping out of the solenoid. I'll replace these with springs.

We had our race on Nov 19 and this new solenoid gate performed with no problems. Whichever racer was in the Red lane would come up and push the button on the corded switch to start the heat.

Randy Lisano

asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

gpraceman wrote:The anodized coating is well worth the extra expense, but a bit late for you I know. If the K2 is working, why do you need another timer?
Time plus finish order is nice, Cool factor is up there. I don't NEED it.
Awana Commander
Dad
Bowhunter
!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

asatxj wrote:Time plus finish order is nice, Cool factor is up there. I don't NEED it.
:lol:

As far as I know, you can convert a K2 to a K3. You would just need new lane modules. You can give Micro Wizard a call to make sure and to check on pricing.
Randy Lisano

cfett
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cfett »

gpraceman:

Can you help me with your mods to the circuit. I don't really know what a mosfet is, what it does, or how it is supposed to be wired in this circuit. The link on 5 J's original post take you to a page with a panoply of electronics, none of which are called mosfet. I just want to buy the components for a manual release as you describe above. Thanks in advance!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

A MOSFET is essentially a switch that either allows the current to flow to the solenoid or not.

I don't remember the specific MOSFET that I used. It might have been an IRL510. You can find those at Mouser.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vis ... usVMMI8%3d

The data sheet will help you in wiring it into the circuit.
Randy Lisano

cfett
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cfett »

Okay... if you wire a solenoid with two wires into a circuit with 12V going to it and only a momentary switch, how does the polarity reverse to the other wire in the solenoid to reset the solenoid? I didn't think I was this stupid when it came to DC voltage but I feel like I'm missing something big.

If it were a door lock actuator... a pulse of +12V would unlock it.... then 0V so it doesn't drain the battery... then -12V to lock it... then 0V so it doesn't drain the battery. I don't understand in the circuit the pinewood guys are using, how you get a "trigger" event with a mosfet switch and then have the solenoid reset for the next race without having a two three position switch (a five wire system in a car)... Lock (-12V + gnd), Unlock (+12V + gnd), and Rest (0V).

Sorry for being obtuse.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

You manually close the gate to reset the solenoid. Anyways, with some timers you cannot close the gate until the heat is over; otherwise, timing will be aborted.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Randy Lisano

cfett
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cfett »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Of course. Cause door locks can be manually articulated. I knew I was being obstuse. A million thanks.
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

So after a couple of 3 hour polish sessions the track looked good. I had an outstanding thought the other day. I'm going to get it powder coated! Then all it will take is a light cleaning and some wax. Anyone have ideas on color? I don't really want to do the 4 Awana colors as its often used in Non Awana events.
Awana Commander
Dad
Bowhunter
!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I think the Awana colors work just fine, even for non-Awana events, as they are just basic colors.
Randy Lisano

asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

It will cost more. Solid color much less
Awana Commander
Dad
Bowhunter
!