BestTrack clean/polish

Commercial tracks.
derbyking
Apprentice
Apprentice

BestTrack clean/polish

Post by derbyking »

Our BestTrack is 4 years old and had never been cleaned, except for dusting. It's stored in a wooden box, but in preparation for this year's pack and district race I was surprised at how dirty it was! My son and I cleaned the entire track with Simple Green and a sponge this weekend. That removed the graphite build up, but it still looked slightly oxidized to me, so I decided to polish it with Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish using the Mother's Power Ball Mini in a cordless drill.

I will have some time into this when done (actually had a few LIfe Scouts do one section last night as service to the pack!), but the difference is amazing.

Here's a photo that shows the difference it is making:
bobcatbrown520
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: BestTrack clean/polish

Post by bobcatbrown520 »

derbyking wrote:Our BestTrack is 4 years old and had never been cleaned, except for dusting. It's stored in a wooden box, but in preparation for this year's pack and district race I was surprised at how dirty it was! My son and I cleaned the entire track with Simple Green and a sponge this weekend. That removed the graphite build up, but it still looked slightly oxidized to me, so I decided to polish it with Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish using the Mother's Power Ball Mini in a cordless drill.

I will have some time into this when done (actually had a few LIfe Scouts do one section last night as service to the pack!), but the difference is amazing.

Here's a photo that shows the difference it is making:
Did your polish job hold up or did it make the collection of dust and graphite worse after some time?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Skywalker Racing
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Skywalker Racing »

You have to be careful with Simple Green. The original formulation causes hydrogen embrittlement which will damage your track over time. I avoid it altogether.

I remove all loose debris with a soft brush or vacuum, clean off tough buildup with a damp cloth, then wipe the entire track down with lemon pledge. You can avoid all the hard work if you just pledge it after setup, between ranks and before storing the track. Works wonders.
bobcatbrown520
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by bobcatbrown520 »

I use Pledge multi surface formula and microfiber towels. Takes all the grime off.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk