Piantadosi=microwizard?

Commercial tracks.
ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman

Piantadosi=microwizard?

Post by ZebsRacing »

Im a rookie, so this is a rookie question but is a Piantadosi Aluminum track just a Microwizard? And if thats the case why dont people call it a MW? Anyways how does it stack up compaired to a Best? I guess the research ive dug up gives me more of a side with BT but?? Are they each the same?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Piantadosi=microwizard?

Post by Speedster »

Microwizard timers (Stuart Ferguson is Microwizard) bought Piantedosi Oars sometime ago. The Piantedosi wood track was a very high quality track. We just sold ours to another Pack. Microwizard started building an aluminum track called the Freedom track and it is like the Piantedosi wood track, a circular arc track. In fact, the start gate for the Freedom track will fit the wood Piantedosi track.
The "Best" track is an aluminum track and is an "incline" track. The hill is straight as opposed to curved. The curve is very quick at the bottom of the hill. The curve is one piece and does not straighten out. It always remains curved. Once the "Best" track is assembled the first time, it goes together quickly after that. The sections are simply held together with binder clamps.
They work well for us. The Freedom track goes together with screws the same as the wood Piantedosi and it is more time consuming both in assembly and taking it apart. They are both high quality tracks.
The Mid America uses the "Best" track for their races. Ford Motor Company chose the "Best" track for their New York race. Certain League racers use the Best track for their race. Pack 217 (me) uses the Best track (new this year) for our races and we love it. Our District starts out with a "Best" track. We love our new Champ timer too. Two bolts and it's in place. My personal track is a "Best" track.
I think that is accurate. If not, please correct me.
ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ZebsRacing »

I get the gist.. best track.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Piantedosi Oars was the maker of wooden tracks and designed and sold the Freedom tracks. Then Micro Wizard purchased the track company from Piantedosi. Piantedosi made wooden tracks for MW for a short time and then MW went to aluminum only tracks.

While Best Track has its fans, the Freedom track is an excellent choice as well. It has some advantages over the Best Track, like the anodized option and storing far more compactly. I can tell you from personal experience that an anodized track will have far less wear and tear over time than an un-anodized track (12 years with my Freedom track, running up to 15 races a year and a good wipe down makes it look almost new). Of course, the Best Track has some advantages over the MW track. So, it boils down to what features are important to you. They both make great tracks and provide great customer support.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ZebsRacing »

I have to be honest, I like that freedom track, in all honesty it keeps the throwback feel to it even though it is aluminum, but I am thinking in a competetive perspective to be aligned with the major competitions, it would be nice to own a best track, decisions, decisions. It doesnt bother me the setup times. Ultimately, it comes down to standards. Only tge best track offers 35 am I right?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

ZebsRacing wrote:It doesnt bother me the setup times. Ultimately, it comes down to standards.
There are things that you can do to reduce the setup time of the Freedom track. I can setup my Freedom track in under 30 minutes, all by myself. See my thread on Freedom track mods.
ZebsRacing wrote:Only tge best track offers 35 am I right?
If you mean 35ft length, BT comes in 7 ft section lengths (35, 42, 49), while the Freedom comes in 8 ft lengths (32, 40, 48).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Zebs, you might want to check out the distances you want the cars to race. For instance, if memory serves me, the 35' Best track the cars travel 29'10" from Pin to timer. The Brake track in included in their advertised distances. I'm not familiar with the distances on the freedom track but I'm sure they're available. You want to make sure you get what you want.
ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ZebsRacing »

I appreciate the help guys, so my theory is to race the same length as districts. Which (from what I was told is a 35 footer) now the tracks may change from year to year, as I am new but from what I was told is it does not. So my theory is to have the same distance, (35) so I can be in the same ballpark in computing my data I collected during our District race. With the goal of untoppling the 5yr champ. Could you guys correct me if Im just fooling myself into thinking this way? I understand that a wood track and aluminum track will run different times, but I should be in the same ballpark right?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

It has worked for me for many years. I know what speed we need to achieve in Lane 1 of my track. Our cars are always 3 wheel rail riders. Our cars always follow science EXACTLY. I have been fortunate over the years to have one scout and his family who shows extreme enthusiasm for going fast. He becomes my scout. Our entire Pack is welcome to attend our workshops. I give my lecture and tell them everything I know which is what I have learned from Derbytalk over the years. Everyone has the same information, except the ones who go to sleep. I have Troy Thorne's latest book for sale to those who want it. If you follow science you are going to have a fast car. Does this guarantee you 1st place? No, some other scout is doing the same thing as you.
ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ZebsRacing »

Yeah you are right sir, thats what I love about pwd, everyone has the same edge to a point, no matter what you do. But the knowledge is power. My hope is to get the boys working with their hands, developing good skills. The science is simplistic but beautiful. I feel bad for the parents who skip all of that to just get an easy win.