Traditional tracks or Aluminum?

General track discussions.
earnhardtjunkie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Traditional tracks or Aluminum?

Post by earnhardtjunkie »

Hey guys,

What is the general consensus between traditional wood PWD tracks verses aluminum? Have you guys heard any flack from folks that think an aluminum track is breaking tradition?

The reason I ask is because I am considering donating a aluminum track to my sons pack complete with electronic finish line but I would rather not cause discontent with those that might consider that crossing traditional boundries.

Thoughts?
"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."........Dale Earnhardt
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Traditional tracks or Aluminum?

Post by gpraceman »

While the majority of tracks out there are made of wood, there is a growing number of aluminum tracks being used. With Piantedosi Oars now selling all aluminum tracks along with BestTrack, that number is shooting up. I think even SuperTimer sells a fair number of its plastic track.

I haven't heard of anyone complaining about going against any "tradition" for having a non-wood track. What I hear from people are issues like durability, storability and having a fast track surface. The only other issue being brought up is trying to get the same type of track for the pack level as is used in the district race. If the pack has a 48 ft aluminum track then winning cars can actually run quite differently on a 32 ft plywood track at a district race.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
earnhardtjunkie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Traditional tracks or Aluminum?

Post by earnhardtjunkie »

Well I did it....... I ordered a 4 lane, 42' track from "Best Track" with a "Fast Track" scoring tower and donated it to the Pack my son belongs to.

The race is on 5 March and the track "should" arrive on the 3rd week of Feb.

Pack 408 in Sierra Vista, Arizona should have a pretty good Derby this year....... I can almost smell the sawdust now.
"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."........Dale Earnhardt