Derby Magic Test Track

Commercial tracks.
MJThurston
Journeyman
Journeyman

Derby Magic Test Track

Post by MJThurston »

The track is together.

1. Plastic board that is used for the start gate was not drilled correctly. Easily fixed but as someone that uses a Bridgeport there is no excuse for it not lining up. Also had to make clearance for a pin used for the switch. It was catching the board and not letting the starting pole to go below the track correctly.

2. Glue used to hold the joined sections is on the track. Not something that should be happening.

3. Timer works great but the way it attaches to the track could be better.

4. I think a board needs to be added to the bottom of the track to keep the track level.

5. Tested two cars. They both go back and forth down the track. Not something I want to happen. I well get a level and check the track tonight.

My thinking is that the plastic track might give more bounce to the car when hitting the guide rail. I'm going to have to get the cars aligned so that they can stay against the rail.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Derby Magic Test Track

Post by Vitamin K »

Have you had any issues with track straightness? I have heard some folks complain of a lack of rigidity from the plastic, so the track tends to meander.
MJThurston
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by MJThurston »

The plastic is rigid but the joining pieces have play. You have to make sure they are aligned correctly. My thinking is having the track fixed to some thin wood would fix this issue.

Home depot has some thin pieces of cedar that would work perfect. I think you can get a pack of 12 for $24.00. I have used them to line my daughter's play house in the basement.
MJThurston
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by MJThurston »

Update.

I took a putty knife to the glue that was running over the track from manufacturing with success. Just be careful doing it.

I set up 3 cars for the race last Saturday. Youngest son had the best time if the race and the best time on the test track.

My car had the second fastest time on the test track but after two races on Saturday my car added .02 to its time. With out that loss of time, it would have been the 2nd fastest car.

My scouts car could never get a good time on the test track. He came in 3rd though in his age group.

My best time on the test track was 2.401. Best time for the wood track at close to the same length as the test track was 2.5319. (My youngest sons time.)