GPRM 5.0 whatcha got new in this version

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

GPRM 5.0 whatcha got new in this version

Post by Watch-out-for-that-frog »

Well well well, there is a new version of GPRM out but the web site does not say what is new in this version and why we should upgrade (just bought the last version less then a year ago) So what is new oh master of all things digital? :wink:
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Former Pack Master of Pinewood Disaster
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM 5.0 whatcha got new in this version

Post by gpraceman »

Watch-out-for-that-frog wrote:Well well well, there is a new version of GPRM out but the web site does not say what is new in this version and why we should upgrade (just bought the last version less then a year ago) So what is new oh master of all things digital? :wink:
The list of What's New with Version 5.0 is in the email announcement that we sent and can also be found at http://grandprix-software-central.com/g ... ts_new.htm
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Oh my my my there is a fist full of improvments! Well better belly up to the card and order the upgrade.

Two things I wish you would add. DELETE / NQ a racer once racing is started with out having to re-run all the heats in that group.

Idget proof the software with a One Button set up Grand Finals comand after each round so no matter where we are we know we can go to the finals with an easy button ;)

Case in point we had a Bear register as a Wolf it was not pointed out until most of the racing was done. We had to re-run the whole group and put him in the proper group. Ugggggggg
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Watch-out-for-that-frog wrote:Two things I wish you would add. DELETE / NQ a racer once racing is started with out having to re-run all the heats in that group.
I don't really like the idea of deleting a racer, as someone is bound to delete a racer out that they did not mean to. If you DQ someone during a race, you don't have to let them run the remaining heats that they are scheduled for. Any car not finishing will get the maximum time that you set (if scoring by times) or max points plus one (if scoring by points) so their not racing would not cause any problems in the standings.
Watch-out-for-that-frog wrote:Idget proof the software with a One Button set up Grand Finals comand after each round so no matter where we are we know we can go to the finals with an easy button ;)
In the Navy, we would call it "sailor proofing" and unfortunately, sailors can find really creative ways to still mess something up.

Back to the point that you are making. To start either a Grand Finals or a new round, you would go to the main screen and click on the new round button. This button is on the button bar at the top of the main screen, so it is accessible from anywhere on that screen. I assume that you are suggesting putting the new round button also on the racing screen. That I would consider.
Watch-out-for-that-frog wrote:Case in point we had a Bear register as a Wolf it was not pointed out until most of the racing was done. We had to re-run the whole group and put him in the proper group. Ugggggggg
It is hard to come up with a countermeasure for placing a racer in the wrong race group other than suggesting that the rosters be reviewed prior to generating your schedules. During check-in, it is also good to ask the racer (or their parent) to verify which group they are in.

With Version 5.0, you can go ahead and add that racer to the correct race group, even after racing had started. You would however need to manually add heats and transfer over the results. This would work for times scoring, but not so well for points scoring, since points are based off the head-to-head competition.

Even with V4 or earlier, I would have tried to manually work in this racer's results into the final standings so as not to have to rerun the whole group.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

That is why a delete racer would be a good thing a double confirm would work. Done in R/C car racing software and is SAILOR proof. Here is as link to the software http://www.west.net/~autoscor/

I like th eidea of the new round / grand finals button. Just make it silly easy to find.
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Watch-out-for-that-frog wrote:That is why a delete racer would be a good thing a double confirm would work. Done in R/C car racing software and is SAILOR proof. Here is as link to the software http://www.west.net/~autoscor/
It does no harm to leave that racer in there, so I don't see a reason to delete them out after racing has started. GPRM, though, does go pretty far to prevent the inadvertent deletion of data. You will get a warning message and you must type in the word YES in all capital letters to proceed. This particularly keeps those "click happy" people (those who don't read the warning messages before clicking on the OK button) from losing data inadvertently.
Watch-out-for-that-frog wrote:I like th eidea of the new round / grand finals button. Just make it silly easy to find.
I did add in a popup message to the racing screen. Once all heats of a round have been completed, the message will tell you so and ask if you wish to start a new round. You can download the update at http://grandprix-software-central.com/d ... update.exe. No need to find it. It will find you.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Watch-out-for-that-frog wrote:Done in R/C car racing software and is SAILOR proof. Here is as link to the software http://www.west.net/~autoscor/
At $595 a copy, maybe I'm in the wrong business :wink:
Randy Lisano

Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

LOL that is not the only one! Check
http://www.mylaps.com/event/detailEvent.jsp?id=70
You can see results from all over the world for R/C car racing. Not that I am hinting for derby times :)

Jlap http://www.jlapracemanager.com/JL_Home.aspx

There are a ton of them all about $500 to $1200.

The TIMING system is $5,000.00 I had two one for each track I built
www.kzspeedway.com
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Watch-out-for-that-frog wrote:LOL that is not the only one! Check
http://www.mylaps.com/event/detailEvent.jsp?id=70
You can see results from all over the world for R/C car racing. Not that I am hinting for derby times :)

Jlap http://www.jlapracemanager.com/JL_Home.aspx

There are a ton of them all about $500 to $1200.

The TIMING system is $5,000.00 I had two one for each track I built
www.kzspeedway.com
Unbelievable :!: That's not all that is unbelievable. $20 S&H for a CD? I charge less to overnight ship!
Randy Lisano

Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Whoops I did not show you that forget I ever mentioned it..... It was only a DREAM a WARM FINANCIAL DREAM.... We will now return you to fifty cent blocks of wood runing down a ramp.
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Slotown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Slotown »

Hello All!

I just found this site. My son is now a Bear Scout and we have BOTH had a thrill with PWD racing. It's hard to tell who enjoys it more :)

Anyhow my question is this: I recently assumed the duties as the Pack Race Master. Our track is a very old, but in good condition, wood track. I convinced the committee that upgrading the track with new electronics would be a good idea. I recently ordered a timer set from Newbold. I also ordered the GPRM software.

It hasn't arrived yet (I've been promised any day now). I'm not concerned about the timer but our Raingutter Regatta is scheduled for the 22nd of October. I suspect when I fianlly do get the software it will be v4.0. Will I be automatically upgraded to 5.0? Or will I have to pay the $10 upgrade fee?
Jeff Bittel
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Slotown wrote:I suspect when I fianlly do get the software it will be v4.0. Will I be automatically upgraded to 5.0? Or will I have to pay the $10 upgrade fee?
Hello Jeff,

We did ship out new V5 CD's to NewBold Products last week, so you should get the latest version with your timer. If not, let us know.
Randy Lisano

Slotown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Slotown »

That's great! Thanks.

BTW, I downloaded the demo version and was pleased with the new look and feel of the GUI. However when I tried to set it up for a demo run using boats it crashed. I'm hoping that was a fluke. Will let you know the specifics if it happens again.
Jeff Bittel
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Slotown wrote:BTW, I downloaded the demo version and was pleased with the new look and feel of the GUI. However when I tried to set it up for a demo run using boats it crashed. I'm hoping that was a fluke. Will let you know the specifics if it happens again.
That is unusual. If you have any more details please email or PM me. If you have an Error.log file in the program's main directory (C:\Program Files\GrandPrix5, unless you installed elsewhere), please send it to me.
Randy Lisano

Slotown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Slotown »

Graceman,

Craig Newbold sent me the unlock code for my copy GPR that he will be sending me. I unlocked the trial version and started setting up for the RR in two weeks. I did some trial runs just to make sure I understood how the software worked. It really was nice and clean.

One of the little features that I will find very useful is the ability to enter every scouts name in the pack prior to registration. Then during registration, no shows will be handled by simply not selecting the "passed inspection" box. The scheduling function only selects those who have passed.

I also like the way it handles multiple "ties" at the end of a round by selecting the top seated winners and moves them into a elmination round. This is really important for RR where scoring is done on the points system.

Thanks for a good product.
Jeff Bittel