District Software - Multiple Tracks w/ Electronic Timer

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
RandyUnderwood
Journeyman
Journeyman

District Software - Multiple Tracks w/ Electronic Timer

Post by RandyUnderwood »

I have looked extensively for something to help me with my district races - each year as we do more people expect more the next year.

Last year we had four tracks running at the same time (one for each RANK) each had at a minimum electronic judges (not all were timers) so we calculated winners by points - we use GPRM hooked to the 'finals' track with an electronic timer - so we had to manually enter the winners of the preliminary heats - it wasn't too bad as we were hosted by a local car dealer and had plenty of things for the boys to do.

What I want is the ability to connect multiple electronic timers to a computer, assign a track to a group/subgroup and have the software read the results from the timer (we'll have a timer on each track this year).

Anyone know of any software that can do something like that ???
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: District Software - Multiple Tracks w/ Electronic Timer

Post by gpraceman »

I really don't think you will find software like that unless you have it custom built. Simultaneously managing multiple tracks (with a timer on each) poses a great many technical problems. The first being that your computer would need multiple serial (or USB) ports to accommodate the different timers. If the timers are different brands, then that would add even more to the complexity. While many computers have multiple USB ports, it will add to the complexity as well since you need to use Serial to USB adapters and install their corresponding device drivers.

It would be a great amount of work and only a very small number of races have this requirement, so that is why none of available software (that I know of) support it.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.