Race Reply and GPRM Challenge

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Race Reply and GPRM Challenge

Post by PWD_addict »

I'm sure we are doing something wrong but we were not able to use Race Reply this past weekend. We were using a Webcam (strike 1?), possibly connected via USB (strike 2) to our Committee Chair's laptop.

The race would be recorded, but in auto replay mode, the race wouldn't pop up on-screen until about 30 seconds later.

Any thoughts before we try it again at Districts in April?

Sorry I don't know all the details but ask some questions and I'll check with our CC for the answers.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Race Reply and GPRM Challenge

Post by gpraceman »

First, they should make sure they are running the latest versions of GPRM and RR.

These can be downloaded at:
GPRM - http://grandprix-software-central.com/gprm/updates.php
RR - http://grandprix-software-central.com/r ... pdates.php

If the video was starting up later than expected, they should check the "Replay Start Delay" setting in the Software Setup screen. This is the amount of time to delay showing the replay after recording has stopped.

On the webcam, people have been able to use them, but generally you will not get the greatest video quality. As long as it looks decent enough on a projection screen, then you are fine; otherwise, try to find a camera that will provide better video quality.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Thanks Randy. I'll forward your comments to our CC. I know that we have the latest software.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PWD_addict wrote:Thanks Randy. I'll forward your comments to our CC. I know that we have the latest software.
We do periodically put out updates and even tweaks to those updates, so it is always good to download the latest before a race.

The latest versions of all our software now have an auto version check feature that has been added. Assuming you are connected to the Internet, when you startup the software it will check if any updates are available. If so, you will get a notice about the update and can opt to download and install it right then and there. This should help make sure users have the latest and greatest (at least the ones with an Internet connection).

There is also a new software registration form built into the software. Again, this assumes an Internet connection.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I am impressed to see GPRM with built-in version checking, and I very much agree to staying up with upgrades. But do so with caution as you approach race time.

We had one this weekend where we simply plugged in a plain-jane USB mouse into the Pack's laptop. One where the timing is still being done thru the LPT and PC. All was well. First race 2.8 averages, second maybe a few 3;s. By the fourth race, 5 second times were appearing and the race was halted.

Who knows why, but something 'new' happened to the PC. And while obviously a PC being used for timing needs to be more isolated than one just receiving times for display...the point is to practice very safe change management. Unless something very wrong, I would freeze any changes to your PC(s) a week or so out from raceday. This includes Windows updates and maybe even hooking it up to any network at all....

Test, Test, Test.

(We shutdown a bunch of services and our race did continue without further incident. But we were one more reboot away from going manual points-based scoring).
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:I am impressed to see GPRM with built-in version checking, and I very much agree to staying up with upgrades. But do so with caution as you approach race time.
I would agree with you to a point. The latest update may fix an issue that you have not encountered during testing, but might on race day.
dna1990 wrote:We had one this weekend where we simply plugged in a plain-jane USB mouse into the Pack's laptop. One where the timing is still being done thru the LPT and PC. All was well. First race 2.8 averages, second maybe a few 3;s. By the fourth race, 5 second times were appearing and the race was halted.
That is surprising to hear. I haven't heard of a timing issue regarding the parallel port that wasn't attributable to an EMI issue (either the pulse from a solenoid gate or by extension cords run too close to sensor system cabling).
Randy Lisano

PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

If it's not available, it would be valuable for us to be able to test Race Replay without real races. That is, there must be some signal/input sent to Race Replay to start recording, then stop recording, and then display. Since we weren't able to get ours working for our Derby, and it is a challenge to set up our track just to debug our Replay issues, it would be a nice thing to be able to do in preparation for the District Pinewood Derby when we use our track and SW.

I suspect our problem is just a handful of configuration items but we didn't leave enough time before our Derby to work it all out.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PWD_addict wrote:If it's not available, it would be valuable for us to be able to test Race Replay without real races. That is, there must be some signal/input sent to Race Replay to start recording, then stop recording, and then display. Since we weren't able to get ours working for our Derby, and it is a challenge to set up our track just to debug our Replay issues, it would be a nice thing to be able to do in preparation for the District Pinewood Derby when we use our track and SW.

I suspect our problem is just a handful of configuration items but we didn't leave enough time before our Derby to work it all out.
The first key thing to do is to test RR all by itself. Make sure you can preview and manually trigger the recording and replay. It doesn't matter what you record while doing this testing (fingers wiggling, making funny faces, etc.).

RR is not compatible with all video capture devices (if you are not using a FireWire connection), since some must use their own proprietary video capture software, so that is something to keep in mind (test with your hardware before you buy in other words).

Once you have RR working like that, then you can test it with GPRM. You do need your timer for that, but you don't need your whole track.

Some like to cut straight to the chase, but testing independently and then together generally works best.
Randy Lisano

PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

We had RR working on our test runs beforehand. We just didn't try to get it to display immediately after a race. I'll get our CC to read the manual and make sure he's got the delay set correctly. We may have a chance to set up the track before Districts to get it fixed up a little bit so we may be able to test it live then.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Do also make sure you have the latest updates to each program.
Randy Lisano