Ok, this is a little wierd

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Ok, this is a little wierd

Post by pack529holycross »

I finally back at the house and have rebooted my comp after coming back from my first Derby as Scorer/Track Controller/Guy behind the green curtain. Unfortunately, for the sake of this thread, I do not have any back up manual scoring to compare what I am seeing in the software. I have a round of racing within a 6 scout den where the final standings show each scout finishing in the exact same position for every heat, regardless of which lane they ran in. What is even more bizarre is that the MPH stats show variations in each heat, so it does appear that the cars did in fact have their performances recorded, and those individual MPH stats DID vary from lane to lane, but what are the odds that 6 cars running in 6 different heats on 6 different lanes come in the EXACT same finishing order 1 thru 6. Let me be perfectly clear - the car that finished first in the first round, shows the highest MPH and a first place finish in EVERY heat. Same for EVERY position. Any thoughts?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ok, this is a little wierd

Post by gpraceman »

Try switching to Times scoring and then look at the data.

When using GPRM with Points scoring and using a timer, GPRM will record the times. That is what the speed calculations are based off of.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

gpraceman wrote:Try switching to Times scoring and then look at the data.

When using GPRM with Points scoring and using a timer, GPRM will record the times. That is what the speed calculations are based off of.

So are you saying that the readout I see is giving me inaccurate standings, and the underlying ETs will allow the correct finish order to be determined?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:So are you saying that the readout I see is giving me inaccurate standings, and the underlying ETs will allow the correct finish order to be determined?
No. I am just saying to take a look at the times result. GPRM bases the finish order off of the times that are sent by the timer.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

gpraceman wrote:
pack529holycross wrote:So are you saying that the readout I see is giving me inaccurate standings, and the underlying ETs will allow the correct finish order to be determined?
No. I am just saying to take a look at the times result. GPRM bases the finish order off of the times that are sent by the timer.
ok.. I can really kick myself for not having a backup judge for the finish order, because it just seems so unlikely that 6 cars can finish in the exact same top to bottom order over 6 runs using different lanes for each run. I switched over to timed racing method, and sure enough the times show what looks to be normal race activity... it's just so baffling to me that it could actually come out that way.

Nicholas

SIDEBAR - the software really seems to choke on a request to print to PDF software ( mine is PDF Exchange Lite 3.0 ).. Although the doc will spool up, it gives an "invalid printer name" error popup. I just tried to print just now and it crashed the software, and when I rebooted it the " a new update for this software is available" popup.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:ok.. I can really kick myself for not having a backup judge for the finish order, because it just seems so unlikely that 6 cars can finish in the exact same top to bottom order over 6 runs using different lanes for each run. I switched over to timed racing method, and sure enough the times show what looks to be normal race activity... it's just so baffling to me that it could actually come out that way.
Maybe I misunderstood your original post. Are you saying that one scout got 1st in each of his heats, another got 2nd in each of his heats, and so on? To me, that really doesn't sound that far fetched. Or, are you saying that the finish order for each lane was the same, regardless of the scout running in it? That would be truly unusual.
pack529holycross wrote:SIDEBAR - the software really seems to choke on a request to print to PDF software ( mine is PDF Exchange Lite 3.0 ).. Although the doc will spool up, it gives an "invalid printer name" error popup. I just tried to print just now and it crashed the software
I'll blame Crystal Reports on that. Crystal Reports is the reporting engine that GPRM uses. It is CR that does all of the exports. Though, I haven't heard of it crashing the software when trying to export.

In the next version of GPRM you may see a different report viewer being used (like that used by DerbyDMV). CR is a pain to program with and adds a whopping 68 MB to the installer size.
pack529holycross wrote:when I rebooted it the " a new update for this software is available" popup.
That is a new feature I slipped into the latest update. Now, as long as you have an Internet connection, it should notify you anytime we make even a slight tweak to the software. We deal with a lot of tech support issues that are easily solved if the user gets the latest update.
Randy Lisano

pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

gpraceman wrote:
pack529holycross wrote:ok.. I can really kick myself for not having a backup judge for the finish order, because it just seems so unlikely that 6 cars can finish in the exact same top to bottom order over 6 runs using different lanes for each run. I switched over to timed racing method, and sure enough the times show what looks to be normal race activity... it's just so baffling to me that it could actually come out that way.
Maybe I misunderstood your original post. Are you saying that one scout got 1st in each of his heats, another got 2nd in each of his heats, and so on? To me, that really doesn't sound that far fetched. Or, are you saying that the finish order for each lane was the same, regardless of the scout running in it? That would be truly unusual.
YES to the first scenario- each kid finished in the exact same position regardless of lane choice.... it just looks so WIERD to see NO variation in finishing order, although the elapsed times and MPH stats look normal. It really scared me.. but of course it would be easier if I had some backup results written down... totally my fault.

next sidebar... is there a report that extracts track records? I see the track record holders listed in the software options window, but do not see an option to just extract that data into a readable ( announcable ) report.

Nicholas
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:next sidebar... is there a report that extracts track records? I see the track record holders listed in the software options window, but do not see an option to just extract that data into a readable ( announcable ) report.
Not currently. Maybe in the next version.
Randy Lisano

pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

gpraceman wrote:
pack529holycross wrote:next sidebar... is there a report that extracts track records? I see the track record holders listed in the software options window, but do not see an option to just extract that data into a readable ( announcable ) report.
Not currently. Maybe in the next version.

How bout this.. is there a way to extract which car was the slowest (Best fule economy) and which car was the fastest ( track record ) from within the awards selector menus? I.E. select those awards in the drop down, and the softwar will search for the fastest and slowest cars?
Last edited by pack529holycross on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:How bout this.. is there a way to extract which car was the slowest (Best fule economy) and which car was the fastest ( track record ) from within the awards selector menus? I.E. select those awards in the drop down, and the softwar will search for the fastest and slowest cars?
Not currently. You have to manually enter awards into that part of the software. Maybe in Version 8.
Randy Lisano

pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

gpraceman wrote:
pack529holycross wrote:How bout this.. is there a way to extract which car was the slowest (Best fule economy) and which car was the fastest ( track record ) from within the awards selector menus? I.E. select those awards in the drop down, and the softwar will search for the fastest and slowest cars?
Not currently. You have to manually enter awards into that part of the software. Maybe in Version 8.
ADD on.... is it possible to get the certificate "printer" to keep all of the car info on a single line? My Race Logo is right where the second line of info is ending up on the certificates....
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:ADD on.... is it possible to get the certificate "printer" to keep all of the car info on a single line? My Race Logo is right where the second line of info is ending up on the certificates....
And again, not currently, other than editing your background image to move that logo. We do have something in the works though...
Randy Lisano

pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

gpraceman wrote:
pack529holycross wrote:ADD on.... is it possible to get the certificate "printer" to keep all of the car info on a single line? My Race Logo is right where the second line of info is ending up on the certificates....
And again, not currently, other than editing your background image to move that logo. We do have something in the works though...
drat,,,, i really wanted those stats on the certificate.. oh well.. I selected "White" so it doesn't show at all.....