New GPRM

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

New GPRM

Post by dna1990 »

We were planning for the 2009 season to transition to GPRM but an odd opportunity came up 'today' that made me push the button.

I had played with the demo just abit, but quickly got my Serial# after purchasing. I had a quirky error with the way I setup my groups or something...Randy took a look and within minutes had me run the auto-update functions...problem solved! Try service like that Mr. Microsoft Update.

We then hooked GPRM up to an OLD MicroWizard K1 Kit (they guessed 6 years old) that had never been tested for serial, they had always used just the flashing LEDs. Boom, first time up GPRM is readin' times in...how about that for long term compatibility?!

The race went great, we were able to register live, race, and show live final standings, then print full blown race results for everyone. (Only 10 racers, but still).

I am a satisfied customer. Can't wait to use it for our own big pack next year (maybe we need a Spring Invitational tournament or something...).
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New GPRM

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:We then hooked GPRM up to an OLD MicroWizard K1 Kit (they guessed 6 years old) that had never been tested for serial, they had always used just the flashing LEDs. Boom, first time up GPRM is readin' times in...how about that for long term compatibility?!
That may be their P1 timer, if it is that old. The P model timers can only send data, not receive it. The have regular stereo cable going from the serial port to the timer.
dna1990 wrote:The race went great, we were able to register live, race, and show live final standings, then print full blown race results for everyone. (Only 10 racers, but still).

I am a satisfied customer. Can't wait to use it for our own big pack next year (maybe we need a Spring Invitational tournament or something...).
I'm glad that your race went well and the software was a help.

A track/timer/software setup is a sizable investment. It's a shame to dust it off only once a year :wink:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I guess I wanted to be clear (or maybe to get clarification). That this was our Pack's track, old timer, and our new copy of GPRM. We visited a newly formed Pack in our area and ran the PWD for them.

This is in proper use of our GPRM license, correct?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:This is in proper use of our GPRM license, correct?
Yes. Since the software is licensed to the pack, it can be used in any races that the pack decides to run.

The problem comes when the software is essentially lent out, either on media or loaded on a computer.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Randy, since we are on the subject of license. How many computers in pack can run the software simultaneous? We prefer to have it running on at least two, one for back up (manual) just in case, preferably three to run the extras.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

doct1010 wrote:Randy, since we are on the subject of licsense. How many computers in pack can run the software simultanous? We prefer to have it running on at least two, one for back up (manual) just in case, preferrably three to run the extras.
The license allows you to have it installed on up to two computers at the same time (for the inidividual or organization that owns the license). Some like to practice on one machine and run on the other and some like to run a registration computer and a race computer. Some, like you, want to have a backup computer. That is all OK with the licensing agreement.
Randy Lisano

jbofkc
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jbofkc »

We rent our track and timer system. We require that the other pack purchases a race management software to take advantage of our timer system. We recommend GPRM.

PS - Randy, I need to give you a call. I cannot get the crystal print option to permit me to print copies. Some sort of error message. This is our first season with your software.
Eagle Scout
"With God all things are possible!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jbofkc wrote:PS - Randy, I need to give you a call. I cannot get the crystal print option to permit me to print copies. Some sort of error message. This is our first season with your software.
You can try reinstalling just the report drivers. If you have one of our CD's, in the Admin folder, look for a file named CrystalReportsXIR2.msi. You can also download this file from http://grandprix-software-central.com/d ... tsXIR2.msi.
Randy Lisano

dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I had some Crystal issues too, until I reinstalled without any AntiVirus running. Worked fine after that.