Time Trials with GPRM?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Time Trials with GPRM?

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Last year, running GPRM with a K3 timer, running tests or time trials was extremely difficult. You basically had to set up mock racers, create a schedule, and run it like a race. What I'd like to do is just run cars down the track and have the software display the times for the lane. We're using this for tuning. Does anyone know if the new version of GPRM will let you do this? Or an easy way to do it with last years version? Haven't got the update yet so I'm trying to figure out if I need it.

Randy?

Thanks,

Steve
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Time Trials with GPRM?

Post by gpraceman »

That's what the "Test / Tiebreak" mode is for. Select that from the list of groups on the Racing screen. Then click on the Ready Timer button, like with any heat. The results will be displayed but not saved.

This option has been available since Version 2.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
jeffd
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jeffd »

Unless I was missing something - if you are running only 1 car at a time, set up the software so the max time for a run will be slightly more than your slowest run. We had anxious people waiting the 9.9999 seconds for their results :)

For us, the magic number was 3.5-4 seconds.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jeffd wrote:Unless I was missing something - if you are running only 1 car at a time, set up the software so the max time for a run will be slightly more than your slowest run. We had anxious people waiting the 9.9999 seconds for their results :)
The max time setting is not a timeout value. It is merely the highest time anyone will be awarded if they do not finish at all.

If you have a car not finish or have an empty lane(s), then press the Escape key. If your timer supports it, you will then see the results posted. If your timer doesn't support this feature, then you will have to wait until the timer times out on its own.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Thanks Randy, I missed that on the pull-down!

Steve
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Brilliant!!! Thanks Randy. That will help fill any voids we have during District races. That, and the PWD Wizard that I just ordered from Maximum-Velocity.
I was wondering how we were going to do that easily.

On a similar note with GPRM, does the RaceReplay software wait for the timer to time out as well? This might have been our problem at our Derby (replay showed up about 30 seconds later).
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PWD_addict wrote:On a similar note with GPRM, does the RaceReplay software wait for the timer to time out as well? This might have been our problem at our Derby (replay showed up about 30 seconds later).
If you use GPRM to control RR, then RR will sit and wait until GPRM tells it to stop recording. In the mean time, GPRM is waiting for the timer results to come in before it tells RR to stop recording. If you let the timer time out for an empty lane or a DNF car, then you will be recording lots of unwanted video, which will mess up the replay.

Even if the timer does not support sending the results when prompted by GPRM, pressing the Escape key will at least result in GPRM telling RR to stop recording. You might end up with a good replay then.
Randy Lisano

PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

gpraceman wrote:
PWD_addict wrote:On a similar note with GPRM, does the RaceReplay software wait for the timer to time out as well? This might have been our problem at our Derby (replay showed up about 30 seconds later).
If you use GPRM to control RR, then RR will sit and wait until GPRM tells it to stop recording. In the mean time, GPRM is waiting for the timer results to come in before it tells RR to stop recording. If you let the timer time out for an empty lane or a DNF car, then you will be recording lots of unwanted video, which will mess up the replay.

Even if the timer does not support sending the results when prompted by GPRM, pressing the Escape key will at least result in GPRM telling RR to stop recording. You might end up with a good replay then.
Thanks. We'll try that next time the track is set up.