Trouble with 1st Finisher

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
mystlin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Trouble with 1st Finisher

Post by mystlin »

I am using GPRM 7.0, with a SmartLine timing system. We used it last year, and the software worked fine. However, we had to return the timing apparatus because one of the lane sensors was not operating. All of the sensors now work, and here is my new problem :?

Each test race that we run, the 1st finisher does not register. In the racing results, the 1st racer receives the default time/points. Here's the kick, it doesn't matter what lane. We have tested all lanes in various orders and the 1st racer always defaults.

I am hoping that this is simply a setting in the software that I have wrong. Has anyone run into this before? I appreciate any guidance that you can give me.

Thanks,
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with 1st Finisher

Post by gpraceman »

Sounds like you are not using the start switch with that timer. If you use the switch, then the timer will send appropriate times for all lanes. Without it, the timer sends a time of 0.0000 seconds for the 1st place lane, which the software interprets as a DNF.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Sounds to me like the software needs an option to treat 0.000 as 1st place.

I'm assuming all the other times reported are after the arrival of the first car.

Of course without a start signal all you can get is the difference in run times between cars and not the run time of each individual car.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

SlartyBartFast wrote:Sounds to me like the software needs an option to treat 0.000 as 1st place.
Some timers report a lane not finishing as having a time of 0.0000 seconds which complicates things. Though, it is something that I am considering supporting for the next version of GPRM.

If this particular timer reported a time of 0.0001 seconds for 1st place, then it wouldn't be an issue, assuming that points scoring is being used. GPRM would indicate the correct finish order with the current design. I was planning on making that request to the manufacturer.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

After looking into the code, it was a rather trivial change to accommodate using that particular timer brand without a start switch. This change is included in the latest program update.
Randy Lisano