Timer issues with today's Derby

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
JeffAlex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Timer issues with today's Derby

Post by JeffAlex »

This is the 2nd year we've used GPRM 7 with our Micro Wizard Fast Track 3. For the most part it all went well. We really enjoy using both the timer and the software for our Derby/Regatta/Space Derby.

But I did encounter several computer issues. Last year I used my Dell Inspiron 600m and this year I used a newer HP Pavilion dv 4. I remember last year going through quite a bit of work to get the COM to USB cable working from the timer to Windows XP but once it was set up, it ran perfectly.
This year I was running Windows Vista Ultimate and plugging in the COM to USB worked right off the bat without having to do the configuration steps I had to do in XP. But running during the race I would keep losing my connection to the timer.

A few times I had to exit GPRM and restart the application to get the software to recognize the timer. Also during the race GPRM would be ready for the next run but the results would never get to GPRM once the cars went across the finish line.

The timer would show first, second and third but GPRM would not get the results. Occasionally it would take 5-7 seconds before they would show up other times we would have to hit escape to cancel the timer and re-run the cars.

I searched through the forum and didn't see anyone else reporting this issue. Anyone have any ideas whether it might be an issue with the timer, the COM to USB cable, the driver for the COM to USB cable, or Vista Ultimate?

Luckily we were able to resolve all the issues pretty easily but I would like to avoid them in the future.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Timer issues with today's Derby

Post by gpraceman »

Were you running the lastest for V7, which is Version 7.0.1515.11?

I don't know why you would be having delays in receiving the results. It doesn't make sense that it would take 5-7 seconds for the results to be processed.

When you did not receive results at all, did all lanes finish?

Did you receive any error messages?

It could have been an issue with the USB to Serial Adapter. Many do have issues with MS Vista, even if they specifically list a compatibility with Vista. We've done a lot of work with updates to V7 and in V8 to make the software work better with a variety of USB to serial adapters. Especially in V8, if the software encounters a problem with the serial communications, it is better able to overcome that and continue on.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.