Need some input on Race Scheduling for 300 cars

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Need some input on Race Scheduling for 300 cars

Post by pack529holycross »

I am reading over the information on "Dynamic" scheduling, and find it to at least be a way of reducing a large number of 6 points cars at the end of the heats. Namely, its ability to push the faster cars together after the first round, which means that the fastest cars in the District will be competing against each other. I find this attractive. I have, however, a few questions ( as usual ).

The scheduler is suggesting 6 phases since there are 6 lanes, and the number of heats is close enough to a regular perfect-n schedule chart that time is not a factor in my decision to use this method. How are the final standings tabulated in such a way that this racing method produces a winners grid that reflects the best car that day? If the description of this race method translates into using the same "low points" tabulation at the end, then that means that those cars in the "lower end" of performance still have the same opportunity to accumulate wins and therefore be high in the standings. I believe this means that the best car of that day is determined by its relative performance against specifically matched cars, rather than randomly matched cars. I think I am reading that right.

My biggest concern is that Car A ( high performer ) ends up competing against FEW high performing opponents, and Car B has more high performing opponents, giving Car A some relatively easy wins.

My second question - does this race method still allow the race software ( GPRM v8.0.1423.0 ) to do a "Event Grand Finale" with the top three racers from each race group coalated into a Grand Finale Group?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need some input on Race Scheduling for 300 cars

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:I am reading over the information on "Dynamic" scheduling, and find it to at least be a way of reducing a large number of 6 points cars at the end of the heats. Namely, its ability to push the faster cars together after the first round, which means that the fastest cars in the District will be competing against each other. I find this attractive. I have, however, a few questions ( as usual ).
I personally would not recommend Dynamic scheduling for a district race. At an upper level race you should have the "cream of the crop", so why try to do any manipulations of the matchups based on performance? I think you are better off just running with Perfect-N type scheduling. Since Perfect-N type schedules will give each racer a variety of opponents, then each racer will have a better chance of doing well in any particular heat than with some other scheduling methods (like Lane Rotation).

Dynamic scheduling is better used at a local race where you are likely to have a larger spread of car performance. It is more of a "feel good" system since it aims to maximize the number of heat winners, which includes those with cars that are not in the top echelon of performance.
pack529holycross wrote:How are the final standings tabulated in such a way that this racing method produces a winners grid that reflects the best car that day?
There is no "winners grid". What scheduling method you choose does not affect how the standings are computed. Standings are based on your scoring selection.
pack529holycross wrote:My second question - does this race method still allow the race software ( GPRM v8.0.1423.0 ) to do a "Event Grand Finale" with the top three racers from each race group coalated into a Grand Finale Group?
What scheduling method you choose does not affect being able to run a Grand Finals (or other extra rounds) or not.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Need some input on Race Scheduling for 300 cars

Post by Stan Pope »

pack529holycross wrote:IMy biggest concern is that Car A ( high performer ) ends up competing against FEW high performing opponents, and Car B has more high performing opponents, giving Car A some relatively easy wins.
The concern for "easy wins" tells me you are running "points". Since there are many more possible opponents than actual opponents, the initial chart matching all 300? cars should be viewed as a screening to pick out the best performers. There are some resulting inaccuracies.

The number to be selected for finals needs to be large enough that you are 99+% sure that those deserving of trophies will be in the finals. Of course, some "less deserving" will be included, too, but they are there to assure that the "truly deserving" are also present even if match-ups are imbalanced.

For most groups, this is about twice as many racers as trophies. Then juggle the numbers to get to a PN or CPN chart (typically 7 or 13 racers run on 3 or 4 lanes.)

Having typed all that stuff, I suspect that was already in your plans
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"