Webcams and race relay

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Webcams and race relay

Post by pack529holycross »

I picked up a 1.3 mpxl webcam (logitech quickcam communicate mp)... says can do upnot to 30 fps..

does anyone have any informtion on potential performance with race replay?

Nicholas
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Webcams and race relay

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:I picked up a 1.3 mpxl webcam (logitech quickcam communicate mp)
What is the actual video resolution (without any software enhancement)?
pack529holycross wrote:... says can do upnot to 30 fps..
That is pretty typical
pack529holycross wrote:does anyone have any informtion on potential performance with race replay?
Some people have used a webcam with RR. Typically, though, webcams do not give very good video resolution. But, it may be good enough to display on a projection system. Always worth giving it a try.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

gpraceman wrote:
pack529holycross wrote:I picked up a 1.3 mpxl webcam (logitech quickcam communicate mp)
What is the actual video resolution (without any software enhancement)?
pack529holycross wrote:... says can do upnot to 30 fps..
That is pretty typical
pack529holycross wrote:does anyone have any informtion on potential performance with race replay?
Some people have used a webcam with RR. Typically, though, webcams do not give very good video resolution. But, it may be good enough to display on a projection system. Always worth giving it a try.
1280x960 - says "true 1.3mpx sensor "
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:1280x960 - says "true 1.3mpx sensor "
That should be good enough resolution for a projection system, but the proof will be seeing how it really works with your system.

The other thing I would be concerned with is what the focus is like. Can you clearly see the cars coming from the start gate all the way down to the finish line?
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

gpraceman wrote:
pack529holycross wrote:1280x960 - says "true 1.3mpx sensor "
That should be good enough resolution for a projection system, but the proof will be seeing how it really works with your system.

The other thing I would be concerned with is what the focus is like. Can you clearly see the cars coming from the start gate all the way down to the finish line?
For some reason I cannot find the adjustment window I was monkeying with before with regards to frame rate ( FPS ) .. isn't there an adjustment to ramp up the FPS capture?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:For some reason I cannot find the adjustment window I was monkeying with before with regards to frame rate ( FPS ) .. isn't there an adjustment to ramp up the FPS capture?
That is not something RR has control of. You can go to the Advanced Setup screen and click on the Properties button for the selected video device. On that properties screen (this screen does not belong to RR, it belongs to your video camera) you may be able to set the FPS.
Randy Lisano