Best video compressors for Race Replay

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
davem
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Best video compressors for Race Replay

Post by davem »

What does everyone use for video compression (CODEC) for Race Replay?

My playing around shows that DV Video Encoder produces good quality and plays back without issues.

The file sizes are 50-100 MB per heat.

(Using a Sony video camera if that matters).

And...what playback setup works best?
1 replay at half speed?
Any suggestions on how to make this work best with GPRM auto Advance?
i.e. delay replay for 3 sec to allow GPRM to show results...1 replay at half speed...show GPRM results for 5 seconds before advancing to next heat...
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best video compressors for Race Replay

Post by gpraceman »

davem wrote:What does everyone use for video compression (CODEC) for Race Replay?

My playing around shows that DV Video Encoder produces good quality and plays back without issues.

The file sizes are 50-100 MB per heat.
There are a lot of different codecs available on the web and already installed to your computer by media players that you can try. The one that I have found to work well with the digital video is the DV Video Encoder. But, when you deal with digital video, that is a ton of data, so the resulting AVI files do get rather large.

With codecs there are issues of video quality and of small file size. Some will do a better job at one but not the other. It is harder to find one that is a good compromize of video quality while yielding smaller files. With smaller file sizes, you are losing video information, thus diminished video quality. But you don't need the best video quality in the world to display on a projection screen.
davem wrote:And...what playback setup works best?
1 replay at half speed?
I think that is more personal preference.
davem wrote:Any suggestions on how to make this work best with GPRM auto Advance?
i.e. delay replay for 3 sec to allow GPRM to show results...1 replay at half speed...show GPRM results for 5 seconds before advancing to next heat...
You should try to set the Auto Heat Advance delay to a high enough value to allow your replay to run (at whatever playback speed and however many times the replay is to be repeated) and give the audience some chance to see the on screen results. If 10 seconds is too short for that then try 15. Keep it as short as possible to keep the pace of the race going quickly.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.