GPRM Question

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

GPRM Question

Post by CuriousGeorge »

Our Pinewood Derby was today and we had a problem with the software. I was wondering if anyone could help.....

I used the same software last year and had no problem but today....

All of the kids came in and passed inspection and their cars were put on the display stand. After all kids passed we called them to the computer to input their names and number. When I was putting their names in, I would ask them which number on the stand they were and I put that number in for their car (I had to change the number the computer was wanting to assign for their car). It seemed to go fine until I got an error message after registering around 10 or so cars. It said that I had assigned the same number to two different cars.... but I had not (every car had a different number on the registration page. Then it would not let me create charts. I could pull up all their names and info in the registration window, but when it came to creating the race schedule, there were no names. I would click on webelos and there where no racers. I opened new files and reregistered them two more times... with the same result....

I had played with the program last night to refamiliarize myself with it and it went perfectly but I did not change the numbers, the computer assigned them....

So here's my question...

Can you not change the number the computer is wanting to assign... even if you don't use the same number twice.....

After the derby today (which went horribly wrong with our charts we made... my son finished second overall and 3rd in Webelos :huh: ) I ran the program again (mock run) and let the computer assign the numbers it wanted and it worked perfectly.

I will be more than happy to answer any questions as best I can or try and clarify anything.
CuriousGeorge
"They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius."
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM Question

Post by gpraceman »

CuriousGeorge wrote:Can you not change the number the computer is wanting to assign... even if you don't use the same number twice.....
Which version of the software were you running? I assume it was Version 7.0. V7 did have an issue with trying to renumber cars. While on screen you can change car numbers around and don't see any duplicates, however, in the data file there is a car(s) already with that car number, which leads to that warning. Version 8 manages that a bit differently. So, as long as you don't have any duplicate car numbers on the screen or in another race group, then you will not see that warning.
CuriousGeorge wrote:After the derby today (which went horribly wrong with our charts we made...
Can you elaborate? You were importing some custom charts?
CuriousGeorge wrote:I was wondering if anyone could help.....
Of course, you can always contact my company, Lisano Enterprises, directly and we'd be happy to answer any questions and help you work through any problems. This is our full-time business and we aim to please.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by CuriousGeorge »

gpraceman wrote:Version 8 manages that a bit differently. So, as long as you don't have any duplicate car numbers on the screen or in another race group, then you will not see that warning.
So in V8 you can change the numbers as long as there are no duplicates?
CuriousGeorge
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by CuriousGeorge »

gpraceman wrote:
CuriousGeorge wrote:After the derby today (which went horribly wrong with our charts we made...
Can you elaborate? You were importing some custom charts?
We just made our own charts on paper and obviously we messed them up somewhere....BUT... the kids all had a great time (which is the most important thing) and there were no complaints from anyone....

PS: Thanks for getting back with me on the software, I'm going to upgrade to V8, but from now on I'm going to let GPRM assign the numbers.... just in case.
CuriousGeorge
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

CuriousGeorge wrote:So in V8 you can change the numbers as long as there are no duplicates?
You can in V7, but you have to be much more careful as to what car numbers are already saved to the data file. V8 makes car renumbering more how you would expect it to work.
CuriousGeorge wrote:PS: Thanks for getting back with me on the software, I'm going to upgrade to V8, but from now on I'm going to let GPRM assign the numbers.... just in case.
Well, with any version of GPRM, if you import your roster from a CSV file, it will go with whatever car numbers you assign (if you assign any). Assuming that you don't have any duplicates in the CSV file, then there would be no problem.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.