Another GPRM Question

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Another GPRM Question

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

We are running GPRM v6.0. We would like to allow cars that don't pass inspection to race but not be awarded a place. Ours District rules require we use the BSA kit only, but there is always someone who comes in with a Pinecar precut kit. This is supposed to be a fun event for 6 to 10 year old boys, telling one of them they can't race goes against the "everybody wins" mentality of Cub Scouting. The race is Friday so we don't have time to upgrade.

The parents with a non compliant car will be told they need to fix it or build another if they are eligible to go to the District race. I will be sure to explain the rules to them.

Even thought every parent got a District rule sheet (and my PWD Guide) with the PWD kit, I doubt most of them read it or even remember what happened to it. Next year I plan on talking to all of the parents about the rules and the basics of PWD at a Den meeting 2 months before the race. Then there will be no excuse for non compliance.

On the positive side, 12 of the 35 cars were built in my workshops, so at least those should pass!! :mrgreen:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another GPRM Question

Post by gpraceman »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:We are running GPRM v6.0. We would like to allow cars that don't pass inspection to race but not be awarded a place. Ours District rules require we use the BSA kit only, but there is always someone who comes in with a Pinecar precut kit. This is supposed to be a fun event for 6 to 10 year old boys, telling one of them they can't race goes against the "everybody wins" mentality of Cub Scouting.
Well, the whole purpose of the Passed flag is to tell the software who to put on the race schedule and who not to. That is true for all versions of GPRM.

However, Version 8 will allow you to check the Passed flag for a racer, but there is also an Exclude flag that can be set. So, you can have them included in the race schedule, but exclude them from the standings. This assumes you are using Times scoring, not Points.
Pinewood Daddy wrote:The race is Friday so we don't have time to upgrade.
Sure you do. You can download V8, order the upgrade and have it installed and running tomorrow (since it is after business hours today). Plus we can get a CD shipped out to you on top of that, if you wish.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

gpraceman wrote:
Pinewood Daddy wrote:We are running GPRM v6.0. We would like to allow cars that don't pass inspection to race but not be awarded a place. Ours District rules require we use the BSA kit only, but there is always someone who comes in with a Pinecar precut kit. This is supposed to be a fun event for 6 to 10 year old boys, telling one of them they can't race goes against the "everybody wins" mentality of Cub Scouting.
Well, the whole purpose of the Passed flag is to tell the software who to put on the race schedule and who not to. That is true for all versions of GPRM.

However, Version 8 will allow you to check the Passed flag for a racer, but there is also an Exclude flag that can be set. So, you can have them included in the race schedule, but exclude them from the standings. This assumes you are using Times scoring, not Points.
Pinewood Daddy wrote:The race is Friday so we don't have time to upgrade.
Sure you do. You can download V8, order the upgrade and have it installed and running tomorrow (since it is after business hours today). Plus we can get a CD shipped out to you on top of that, if you wish.
I'm not the one with the laptop. I would have to contact him first. I should have thought of this last week!!!

Are there any major changes between v6 & v8 that might cause us any problems??
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:Are there any major changes between v6 & v8 that might cause us any problems??
Well, the whole user interface has been redesigned to make it easier to use and be more intuitive. Plus it has a cool new look. You can always download it, play with it in demo mode and then decide if you wish to upgrade. The software really has the same basic flow, but it would be good to go through the Quick Start Tutorial, as that walks you through each step of using it.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Thanks. I sent him an email to upgrade & get reimbursed. It's up to him since the race is in less than 3 days.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

How did the upgrade go? The Passed but Exclude feature has been very handy for the packs that want to allow siblings to race and give out awards only for the entire group but don't want the siblings to get the trophies.

We recently switched from version 5 to version 8 and are VERY pleased! We had to stay on the older version due to hardware limitations of the old laptop. (Can you say 386?)

I upgrade whenever there is a new version now. The auto update check via the internet is a real useful feature. The biggest change in version 8 for us was the report system. The new one generates the entire report set of real nice PDFs with ease! We then burn these to a CD or put them on a USB memory stick for the group.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

He did get the upgrade yesterday. He likes the new look and feel. I haven't seen it yet. I'll play with it after the race!