Slo mo frame rate in Video Replay

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Slo mo frame rate in Video Replay

Post by pack529holycross »

Trying for the first time to sort out all the variables that go into the Video Replay. I bought the $52 Pinnacle Dazzle DVD capture device... are there any differences on the frame rate of capture from one model to another? I have an Hitatchi DVD-R camcorder connected through SVIDEO to the Capture device...

any advice on increasing frame rate for slo - mo would be great

Nicholas
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Slo mo frame rate in Video Replay

Post by gpraceman »

RaceReplay has no control over the frame rate. That is limited by your hardware. With video capture devices you are typically limited to no better than 30 fps. With a digital video camera and using a FireWire connection, you can generally get frame rates up to 60 fps.

You can go to the Advanced Setup screen in RaceReplay and click on the Properties button for your video device and see if there is any setting they provide for changing the frame rate. I rather doubt it though.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SoloTSi97
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SoloTSi97 »

gpraceman wrote:RaceReplay has no control over the frame rate. That is limited by your hardware. With video capture devices you are typically limited to no better than 30 fps. With a digital video camera and using a FireWire connection, you can generally get frame rates up to 60 fps.

You can go to the Advanced Setup screen in RaceReplay and click on the Properties button for your video device and see if there is any setting they provide for changing the frame rate. I rather doubt it though.
Hey Randy,

Quick question. I've used GPRM for a few years now and am considering adding RaceReplay this year. I've downloaded the demo version today and have hooked up my digital video camera via Firewire. I don't see any framerate options going into the properties for my device in RaceReplay's advanced setup ... is there anything special I need to do/set in order to enable higher framerates like you mentioned? I'm going to play around with it some myself, but I probably won't get the opportunity to do a real live test until the day of the derby. So, I thought I'd ask here in addition to my own testing.

I've got some other questions as well about RaceReplay, but am still searching to see if they've already been answered.

Thanks!

-Bob
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The frame rate is really a function of your video camera and how you are connecting it to your computer. Assuming you have sufficient CPU power, RaceReplay will record at the frame rate that it is being supplied with. If your CPU cannot keep up with that, then there will be some dropped frames.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SoloTSi97
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SoloTSi97 »

Okay, that makes sense. Any suggestions on some "test" software that will simply display the video input and display the framerate? I was planning to use my wife's laptop (Core 2 Duo 1.4GHz), but could use my work laptop (Core i5) instead if necessary.

-Bob
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'm not so sure on the input side. For the video that has been recorded, open up My Computer or Windows Explorer and do a right mouse click over one of your AVI files and select Properties. Then go to the Details tab. That will give you the frame rate for that clip.
Randy Lisano