Windows 7 - USB to Serial Adapter

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Windows 7 - USB to Serial Adapter

Post by sporty »

K, I tried using my newer laptop, windows 7, usb / rs232 adapter to my p3lcd timer.

No go.

The driver would not work for my usb /rs232 adapter. I just ordered another one, claims to work on windows 7. from usconverters.com

so I was wondering what others are using ? what works and what does not ?

since i just ordered this one, i'm hoping it's gonna work. seems its more about the software than the chip.

So it would be great to get mt current usb to rs232 working on windows 7, anyone got a driver that works ?

sporty
zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Windows 7

Post by zeezop »

Not using the same timer as you but for those who need the PL-203 Driver for Windows 7
http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Timer: Fast Track K3
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

K,

After i waisted my money on buying that fancy one.

I tried searching out on the net.

the one you posted i tried earlier with no luck.

however this one works for my cheap $2 china one.
link-

http://www.winchiphead.com/download/CH341/CH341SER.ZIP" target="_blank

a little weird, but it works, update your driver throuch the control panel,devices.

use com 3 and it works. wooohoo.

enjoy this one.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I would caution about downloading any old driver for these adapters. It depends on the specific micro chip that the manufacturer of the adapter used, so not any old driver will do. If anyone is looking to buy an USB to Serial Adapter, while it may be tempting to buy a cheap one off of eBay or elsewhere online you may be getting what you pay for. I've sampled some of these inexpensive ones and had issues with them supporting Vista (32 and 64 bit flavors) much less Win7. Some of the driver CDs would not auto install the drivers and trying to figure out which of the many folders on the CD to find the right drivers was difficult (probably used the same CD for multiple USB devices they produced). When you buy an adapter, make sure it supports your version of Windows and which flavor (32 or 64 bit).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Windows 7 - USB to Serial Adapter

Post by sporty »

I certainly would agree Randy.

I was trying to resolve a issue and cheaply as possible.

Not knowing that use to rs232 is really not as easy as I was thinking.

Certainly before you buy, ask questions and not asume it will work for you.

I was glad to get mine to work and share a link that works for me. That may help others who are in this situation or might be in the future unknowningly.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The other thing that I will toss in is that some sales people at electronic stores will try to tell you that these devices are plug-and-play, so no driver is needed. For most of these adapters, that is not the case (even less likely the older the version of Windows it is used with). The adapter should come with a CD (mini or regular) that has the drivers on it. With the mini CD's, these are often hidden in the packaging (within the backing cardboard fold).
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
jevans
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jevans »

i just wanted to add that this past spring i bought Grandprix Software, that wouldn't up load to my old lap top running windows millennium. this was the third new program that would not up load so after talking to the geeks at buy, who said i would be better off up grading the hard ware, i bit the bullet buying a new lap top with windows 7 i then bought an adapter with cd driver but that didn't support windows 7 was told to download off iternet new driver from company. still didn't work, finally upset i packed every thing up and went back to cable store and said i'm not leaving till it works (their great guys) after 20 min every thing worked. answer was i now had two drivers and they weren't talking to one another after un installing the cd driver the downloaded driver worked. i am very happy with the software i just wish my wet ware was up to speed.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jevans wrote:answer was i now had two drivers and they weren't talking to one another after un installing the cd driver the downloaded driver worked.
I usually skip the CD drivers for any USB device and go straight to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers from there. Who knows how long the device was sitting on the store's shelves, so likely the drivers are out of date. Anyways, I am glad that you got it working.
Randy Lisano