Question on DerbyMaster software

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Question on DerbyMaster software

Post by DerbyNut »

Our pack has DerbyMaster and I have a question. After we run our race and have all three winners for each den, we do an overall pack race for those 15 boys. Is there a way to take the 15 winners and start a race for them without having to start over and re-enter those names in? Two years ago our pwd chair was able to do this I thought but since he left, last year our new chair re-entered them. I'm trying to save him some trouble and time.

Thanks!
John T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Question on DerbyMaster software

Post by John T »

Yes there is. I inherited the Derbymaster 7 sw from our pack so I had to learn it quickly. There are several ways to do it.

I found it easy to enter all the kids from the pack into the race software prior to the race, set the race and track options and then save the race. Then save it again under a different name if you like so you have two different race configurations but all the kids entered. Tweak each race for the race format, lane options, rounds, etc. but don't create a schedule, unless you really want to just to see what it looks like. (you'll have to recreate the schedule prior to the actual race anyways)

NOTE about the software- If you mess with the comm port page options and select certain options before actually enabling the comm port you can crash the software. Any changes you made may be lost if you did not save them first. The software has no auto save option built in. Happened to me once and I had to quickly re-enter the race from scratch. So if you make a change, save often. That's your friendly reminder.

For the first race, just highlight the names of the scouts that fail to check in then delete them. [SAVE] Then go to the race schedule tab to calculate the new schedule. then run your race.

After running the race you can either export the standings to a text file to save the results then modify that race again by deleting which ever scouts you don't need, change the format of the race (if desired) [SAVE] then recalculate a new schedule OR open the second race you saved with all your new race options set and remove the unnecessary racers [SAVE] and recalc your schedule.

The third option is a quick and dirty way... If you know how the text file is formatted you can edit the config files in the installation directory using Notepad.

Copy and paste the names as needed from one config file to another to the correct location in the file. The racer entry lines are similar to a tab delimited spreadsheet entry. I've used MS Excel to create my sign in sheet for the PWD roster and if you create it in such a way that you can export that file out into a tab delimited format then the resulting text file will be the same format needed for the config entry lines. I create a new race with the proper race settings (# of lanes, rounds, format, etc.) but no car entries and save it. Then edit the file and copy and paste the exported Excel spreadsheet portions into the race config file. For a race with a large number of scouts it can really speed up the race config.

If you are comfortable doing it that way it can go relatively quick. But you can also corrupt the file if a character is out of place and you don't know what you added or removed as the file looks normal when viewed thru notepad so be careful.

Hope this helps.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:welcome: John T. Awesome first post.
John T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by John T »

John T. Awesome first post.
Thx. DM sw is fairly easy to manage. And I like that the config files are text based. Pretty straight forward, I like simple. Always willing to offer up helpful info for others when needed. Part of my job descrip is technical customer support and I deal a lot with step by step instructions to customers.

This forum was recommended to me from our scouting council. Lots of good info in here. Ran my second race last weekend using the DM sw. Went ok but I am looking to improve future races. Will be with our scout pack for 2 more years so want to get something better installed into the pack before I leave. And since I have been vocal in our district about the rules and race formats the council has begun to ping me for my thoughts and comments regarding the pack and district race organization and how to improve it. So I need to be a bit more "edgukated" about the topic.

The Derbymaster software is ok and has not glitched during any of our races but I think I would like to look more at the GPRM software for next year. My coworker's pack is having their race this weekend so I will have a chance to see the GPRM sw in action.

John