Dropping races

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Dropping races

Post by 10range »

I have been playing around with mock schedules the last couple of nights and am really looking forward to using this during both our adult and kids Awana race. One concern I have is making sure that the race stays on time. I know in the other thread I started a number of people thought we could easily run 50 cars with 4 runs each in less than an hour but seeing we are dealing with kids, electronics and various other factors that could go wrong, I just want to make sure that we have as many bases covered as possible.

Is there a way that you can set up the initial race to allow for this and then if we run up against the clock and need to reduce the each racer by one run if time requires this?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dropping races

Post by gpraceman »

You would have to use a scheduling method that would allow it. The only built-in scheduler that will accomplish clean breaks where all cars have run the same number of times is Dynamic. It has its own drawbacks that you should read up on in the software's help file.

I do believe that with a reasonably organized race crew, you can be able to crank out 50 heats in short order. Some may end up complaining that the race was over too quick. The key is making sure that the next set of cars is ready to load on the track as soon as the current heat's cars are released.

Here's what I suggest to help accomplish that:
1) Run practice races well before race day. Run through a full race scenario, so you are comfortable with your race software and what you will need to do. This includes testing out all hardware.
2) Pick a scheduling method that does not require a lot of racers to run in back to back heats. I recommend Perfect-N or Phase Shifted Lane Rotation.
3) Have a couple of people assigned to get the cars pre-staged. If you can, bring a printer and have the schedule printed out so they do not depend on the racing screen to see who is on deck.
4) Have at least one runner to retrieve cars from the finish line
5) Have someone to return the cars to their assigned "parking spot"

This all assumes that the race crew is handling the cars. If the racers handle the cars, you do need people to get the on deck racers standing by and then someone to make sure that the racers return their car to the assigned parking spot.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

While there are tons of advantages (I think for most) of using Perfect-N type scheduling...it does require a beginning and an end.

And it is a legit concern to worry on the pace of your event. I have attended derbies where indeed they dragged into real slow burners. But the fact you are aware of this possible pitfall, makes me think you can stay on top of it and keep the pace up. With a several copies of your race schedule printed for your pit crew to see and stay a few heats ahead, all cars numbers with stickers or easy-to-see numbers, and an organized table/rack/stand to return all cars to each time...60 seconds per heat is achievable. If not you, just be sure you talk with your MC/announcer in planning meetings to be sure yall are on same page and they are receptive to you reminding them to 'keep it rolling' should they start to drag along.
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by 10range »

We are running our adult race 3 weeks before the kids race and planning to use this as a time to test our procedures for the kids race.

We are planning to have two adults at the end of the track that will be responsible for retrieving the cars at the end of the race. My biggest concern is that we have the kids on deck and ready to race at their turn. In years past, they have just called out the kids names and had them come up, get their car and get ready to race. This year we are going to have the group leaders be responsible for getting the correct kids up to the stage and then have two adults dedicated to make sure the kids have their cars ready when the previous race ends.

I really want to give each clubber a chance to run at least 4 times. I also think that if we run a few minutes over the normal club time, it will not be a big deal since a good number of parents come and watch the kids race. We will probably see how things go with the adult race and go for it with the Prefect-N setup.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I know this thread is veering away from scheduling...but you are correct in race management terms, "people" are highly variable.

So if your race format includes waiting for a scout to come up and stage their own car, indeed you need more people roaming in the audience and watching the OnDeck display to have the little guys one (or more) heat ahead. While I know the value of scout-staging, instead we opt to have all adults staging cars and organizing the whole impound area. We do have the four kids racing in that heat, come sit at the end of the track for a close up view, and then to carry their car back to the stage to be ready for the next heat. But we do not WAIT, on all four scouts to be present. They all know to watch the OnDeck display and to get down there. We have Boy Scout age helpers carry back any car that the owner didn't show for. Waiting to start a heat, while the whole room looks for Johnny, is polite for that one person, but the pack as a whole suffers on time. When running a 4lane Perfect-N, the no-show scout has three more chances to take their spot. Keep the pace rolling.

It is a great idea to rehearse with adults - but like alot of ther things, adults are often MUCH worse at following directions and paying attention. They are much more likely to delay a heat starting while they chide each other or 'talk up' the heat.

Lastly. Rely on the printed Schedule report. This can allow a) your staging crew to have the next four cars ready in a tray, and b) even your audience can use it to know roughly when their scout will be racing and will help watch the OnDeck display.
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by 10range »

Thanks for the feedback. My ultimate goal is to manage the race and time well enough that we can avoid having to worry about running fewer races than we plan so any tips that help us accomplish this are even better!

During the race the children are sitting either with the leaders of their age group or with their parents. I am planning to print schedules to have available for the leaders and parents to have so they can be helping get the correct kids to the stage when they are ready.

I really appreciate all the advice so far. I think it has already helped us avoid some of the issues that may have arose if not planned for. :thumbup: