(GPRM )Confused,what to do after round 1

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Mr. Frank
Apprentice
Apprentice

(GPRM )Confused,what to do after round 1

Post by Mr. Frank »

Not sure if I can do want I want to, but here's what I'm trying to accomplish-

I want to run 3 groups, Scouts(approx 30), Siblings(10), and Adults(6), with subgroups of Rank for the scouts. I want the following awards: top 3 Scouts overall, top 3 for each rank, top 3 Siblings, and just 1st for the adults.

I'm using perfect N scheduling and have it set to use master schedules. Round 1 runs perfectly-exactly what I want. The groups are inter-mixed so no group has to wait til the other is done and no groups race against each other. After round one is complete, I'm lost. As you know, the option is to run another round or grand finals. Grand finals doesn't seem to work for me because it pits members from other groups against each other. When I try to do another round, it only creates for one group, so it seems like I can't run round 2 like round 1 with the groups inter mixed. Also not sure how many subsequent rounds to have or at what point the race is over.

Sorry, this is my first derby. Bottom line is I have no clue what to do after round 1 or how to determine when the race is over and who the winners of each award are. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am totally stressing out :nervous: since the race is just 8 days away.

Thanks,
Frank
Longwood FL
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: (GPRM )Confused,what to do after round 1

Post by gpraceman »

Mr. Frank wrote:Grand finals doesn't seem to work for me because it pits members from other groups against each other.
That is the whole purpose for running a Grand Finals round, to take the top racers from different race groups and run them together. Running a Grand Finals round is optional.
Mr. Frank wrote:When I try to do another round, it only creates for one group, so it seems like I can't run round 2 like round 1 with the groups inter mixed. Also not sure how many subsequent rounds to have or at what point the race is over.
You need to start Round 2 for each of the groups that you wish to run an additional round. You can click on the New Round button on the Main screen, select the group to start the new round for and proceed from there. Repeat for each group to run a new round. Just like Round 1, you would need to create a schedule for each group in that round. Master Scheduling will be applied to the round as long as you have more than one race group in that round.

You can run as many rounds as you wish, but I recommend that you keep it to a minimum. The more rounds that you do, the more interest that you lose from those that have been eliminated.

The race is over when you complete the last round that you desire to run. Close the Racing screen and look at the round/group/subgroup/team standings, as appropriate, to give out your awards.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
tnux
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by tnux »

Yes, that is correct;
Of course Randy is correct. :doh:

For our group we generaly have about 20+ or so and it usually takes close to 2 hours to run one round. So we just stick to one. When we tried more in the past we totaly lost interestof everyone involved.
So IMO, just do one round and call it a day. 8)
Mr. Frank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mr. Frank »

Thanks for the tips.We're up to 38 scouts, so 1 round sounds good.
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rukkian »

2 hours to do 1 round seems awfully slow for 20 cars. We have 40 scouts, plus had 12 outlaw racers. We did 2 rounds in the rank races, outlaw races, and then 2 more rounds in the pack championship (with 17 cars) and it took less than 3 hours. That time is including the breaks between prelim, outlaw, and finals.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Mr. Frank wrote:Thanks for the tips.We're up to 38 scouts, so 1 round sounds good.
If you do just one round, make sure to maximize the number of runs per lane for each racer to fit your allotted time. With just once down each lane of the track for 38 racers, you will get done very quickly.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.