Help needed, Fast Track timer and GPRM setup

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Help needed, Fast Track timer and GPRM setup

Post by knotthed »

I volunteered to run the race for our pack this year and I need some help getting things working for our race on the 21st. I have no prior experience with the track and the software.

I have assembled everything and timer by itself appears to function just fine.

The GPRM software version I have from the pack is V3. Installed on a Sony VAIO laptop Win 7 64bit

I have to use a USB adaptor to get the 9pin 232 connected to it. Laptop says COM3 for the adaptor.

I have tried to get the GPRM to work, but continue to get overflow errors.

Do I need to upgrade to the latest version of GPRM to get this to work?

The track timer seems to work fine - just cant seem to get it communicating with the laptop.

Thanks in advance for any and help,
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Help needed, Fast Track timer and GPRM setup

Post by BallBoy »

I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly, but from personal experience Randy is typically prompt in responding if you contact him directly. I know his support address is available in the Help menu of later versions of GPRM (V3 is a little before my time as a Scout leader) as well as on the GPRM website.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Here is more information on the situation.

I installed hyperterminal off my XP desktop onto the laptop and the times come up on hyper terminal.

I am not sure but I am guessing an upgrade is in order.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

BallBoy wrote:I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly, but from personal experience Randy is typically prompt in responding if you contact him directly. I know his support address is available in the Help menu of later versions of GPRM (V3 is a little before my time as a Scout leader) as well as on the GPRM website.
I'm not sure either, but I know Randy is very prompt to respond.

Without knowing what the issue is I cannot say if the update will resolve - but regardless for the $10 - the upgrade will be well worth it.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

More info Fast Track Timer is "P3 VERSION 6.2" from unplugging and plugging back in as read on hyperterminal screen.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Thanks for the responses - sent message thru GPRM site.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

For Randy to not jump on this for 10 hours is unusual! Maybe he ran off to Grandma's house and left his laptop at home! :(
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Glad that I'm missed. Spent the day with my brother and his family, who are visiting from out of state.

GPRM Version 5 and below will not run on Windows Vista or 7. You can upgrade to Version 11 for $10 to run on those versions of Windows.

That may not necessarily correct your timer communications issues, as there can be several things that can lead to problems. There is a wealth of troubleshooting information in the software's help file that can help, just look under the Support section. Of course, you can contact us directly if you need further assistance in troubleshooting.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Thanks Randy. I will purchase upgrade.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Many thanks to Randy and all - Got the upgrade and it appears to be functioning flawlessly, I ran a 3 car race to test and all the times came over.

Interested thing, different outcome based on points versus times. Guess I need to read up on that.....

I know our district race is based on points, from the rules and going last year.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

knotthed wrote:Interested thing, different outcome based on points versus times. Guess I need to read up on that......
Yes, points are based on finish order in a heat, whereas with times scoring, racers are racing the clock, not the racers they go head to head against.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.