DIY timer issue with version 11.x of GPRM

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Indy
Pine Head
Pine Head

DIY timer issue with version 11.x of GPRM

Post by Indy »

Hello,

A user of the Arduino timer (http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=6216) let me know that it failed to work with the latest version (11.x) of GPRM. Its been used successfully with version 10.x so I installed the latest 11.x version and verified that it no longer works.

On the Hardware setup window, the "Start Testing" button was pressed and than "Test Race". The status went to 'Standby' and after 5 seconds or so the following error appeared:

The hardware log showed the following:

Code: Select all

--------------------------------------------->>
Time: 01/23/2012 12:00:20:06 AM  Sent LaneMaskReset Command: 'U'
App: GrandPrix  Version: 11.0.906.15
Timer: Custom  Port: COM6

Time: 01/23/2012 12:00:25:12 AM  Sent StartGateStatus Command: 'G'

Time: 01/23/2012 12:00:30:17 AM  Sent Reset Command: 'R'

Time: 01/23/2012 12:00:30:50 AM  Timer Responded Back:
K<cr><lf>
I thought maybe the carriage return/linefeed was causing the problem but removing that from the timer's 'Ready' response did not help the issue. I also tried increasing the response delay setting (0.25 -> 0.5 -> 2.0) but that also did not help.

Here is the serial config used:

Any ideas on what the issue could be? Thanks in advance for any help!
David
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DIY timer issue with version 11.x of GPRM

Post by gpraceman »

You really do not need the Ready Response with that timer. That was really intended for a timer that has a prolonged reset sequence.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Indy
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Indy »

Thank you for the reply. I removed the "Ready Response" entry in the serial config and now the software can successfully communicate with the timer.

One issue remains - it takes 10 seconds after hitting the "Ready Timer" button (on the race window) until "Ready" is displayed. Looking at the HW debug log it appears the 10 seconds corresponds with 5 seconds between the unmask all message (U) and the gate check message (G) and another 5 seconds until the reset message (R):

Code: Select all

Time: 01/23/2012 07:02:16:32 PM  Sent LaneMaskReset Command: 'U'

Time: 01/23/2012 07:02:21:37 PM  Sent StartGateStatus Command: 'G'

Time: 01/23/2012 07:02:26:43 PM  Sent Reset Command: 'R'
Is the 10 seconds by design? (I don't remember any significant delay when using version 10.x)

Thanks again for your help,
David
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

What are you using for a Read Delay? The software will wait that amount of time for the timer to acknowledge the command that was sent. If no acknowledgement is received within that time, then it will continue on.

Please email your log file to support@grandprix-software-central.com" target="_blank and I'll take a look at it.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Indy
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Indy »

Read delay is set to 0.25 seconds.

The timer does not respond to the unmask all message (U) or check gate message (unless the gate is open) - is there some type of general acknowledge message the timer should be sending? I will email the log to you.

Here is the config:

Thanks,
David
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Indy wrote:The timer does not respond to the unmask all message (U) or check gate message (unless the gate is open) - is there some type of general acknowledge message the timer should be sending? I will email the log to you.
It is preferable with the V11 custom timer interface to have a response to every command. Even if that response is a simple Carriage Return + Line Feed. This will let the software go on its merry way faster. A check gate command should send a response even if the gate is closed. Of course, the software will only give the warning if the gate open response is received.

I'll take a look at the log file that you sent me. There is likely some tweaking to be done with the updated custom timer interface in V11.
Randy Lisano

Indy
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Indy »

To wrap this thread up:

Randy released a new version of GPRM (11.0.906.16) that resolves the issues discussed. The ready response message can be left in or removed (it should work either way) and the delays are no longer present.

I released a new version of the Arduino sketch (1.10) that sends an acknowledgement for each message received - this should also help performance. The new sketch can be downloaded here: http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/pg_pdt.html

Thanks again to Randy for his help.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'm glad to hear that it is working well now.
Randy Lisano