Needed to re-print selected licenses in DVM

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
ken
Apprentice
Apprentice

Needed to re-print selected licenses in DVM

Post by ken »

We per-loaded the whole roster into DVM. We used one PC for DVM and another for GPRM (about 50' apart). The computers were networked with the GPRM mdb file on a full access share on the GPRM machine. The DMV mdb stayed on the DVM machine. We had a number of photos that had to be retaken and/or reprinted. We did not find any good way to accomplish that. We were importing the 'Print' field from DVM as the 'Passed' inspection field in GPRM. We couldn't uncheck all the boxes and just check the re-prints because we had the whole roster in the db not just those who were racing. We opted to export from DMV sooner than we intended then uncheck all and manually track any new check-ins to 'Pass' in GPRM. We ran GPRM on the DVM machine using the shared mdb to make this easier. The DVM person then had to do everything in both programs. But of course we still missed one! And of course not until several heats had run.

Does anyone have a better method for re-prints. I realize this would only be useful in certain circumstances. But I couldn't find a better way to re-print about 8 of the 70 licenses.

I'm hoping that someone will point out something obvious that we over looked that would have solved our problem. This was our first time using DVM. It was a hit!

Ken
ken
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Needed to re-print selected licenses in DVM

Post by ken »

No suggestions? Not even from Randy
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Ken,
It's the busy season! I'lll be using GPRM this weekend, but I don't think it has DVM. So I'm zero help on this one.
You might try a PM to Randy.
Good Luck!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
ken
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ken »

that's true. This should be an off season question. I'll bump the thread in the summer.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Maybe the best solution is for me to not have the Print field from DerbyDMV connected to the GPRM Passed field. That should make doing reprints not cause a problem with GPRM if you later import (or reimport) into GPRM. I'll take a look at that a bit later today.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ken
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ken »

I think it is more useful to more people the way it is. It currently allows the DVM station to complete the check-in process. Perhaps an option would be a second check box for passed within DVM that exports and then don't export the Print datafield. It would just give the ability to pick and choose which licenses to print on a given view/print request without affecting the passed status. Our workaround worked fine. We just got distracted and missed one.

BTW, something else just popped into my mind. I've deleted older versions, but back about ver 8 didn't schedule printing print as a simple table without color or shading. I was running low on ink at the race and started exporting the schedules to excel then stripped out all the color and shading to satisfy my paranoia of not being able to printing those last few certificates. I was just thinking that they weren't always so 'pretty'. (I was already on my spare cartridge)

Thanks,
Ken
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

ken wrote:I think it is more useful to more people the way it is. It currently allows the DVM station to complete the check-in process. Perhaps an option would be a second check box for passed within DVM that exports and then don't export the Print datafield. It would just give the ability to pick and choose which licenses to print on a given view/print request without affecting the passed status. Our workaround worked fine. We just got distracted and missed one.
Well, the assumption was that if you printed the racer, that they should be passed in GPRM. But if you do reprints that will mess with that. I'll look at the import process. Maybe the first import update Print = Passed, but not mess with the Passed field for any reimports.
ken wrote:BTW, something else just popped into my mind. I've deleted older versions, but back about ver 8 didn't schedule printing print as a simple table without color or shading. I was running low on ink at the race and started exporting the schedules to excel then stripped out all the color and shading to satisfy my paranoia of not being able to printing those last few certificates. I was just thinking that they weren't always so 'pretty'. (I was already on my spare cartridge)
When you go to print, you can go to the printer properties and select to print black & white (some call it grayscale). I also select to do a fast draft, so schedules print out faster.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

After more reflection, I may need to leave it as it is. Importing from DerbyDMV and from a CSV file get processed through a common routine. If someone passes/unpasses a racer in their CSV file that should be reflected when that file is reimported.
Randy Lisano

ken
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ken »

That is the kind of side effect that made me say its probably were useful to more people as is.

Probably not a quick modification, but maintaining a separate 'passed' field in DVM may work. Always export/import 'passed' and never export 'print' from DMV. That would maybe make DVM exports and CSVs process identically. Certainly not a 'during the season' coding and testing task.

Thanks for the printing suggestion.