Statistical Error???

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
msurebel
Journeyman
Journeyman

Statistical Error???

Post by msurebel »

I got this message at the end of the race and my statistical analysis skills are lacking since college.

“There is a 99.9% chance that timing anomalies exist in Round 1 of the Webelos 1 Group.
All racers in these heats achieved their fastest time of the round:
Heat 10

If this was not due to any intervention…, it is then recommended that you examine your timer setup and operation to determine if the heats need to be rerun. …”

When I look at the four cars that ran in this one heat, yes, this was their fastest time, but all but one had a standard deviation of total time of .004, .0065, and .0067. The other car SD was .0332. All but one had really close times in all their heats. Why am I getting this error?
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Statistical Error???

Post by rpcarpe »

Please pass on your software type, version# and timer type.
That might help.
Or contact your software tech support
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

There was a recent update to GPRM that tweaks the timing audit. If you are not running 12.0.1314.2, you can download the update from http://grandprix-software-central.com/s ... m-updates/.

If you are still getting the warning, you can checkout the section in the software's help file that pertains to the timing audit. It explains the audit, conditions that could have caused a timing anomaly, as well as conditions that could lead to a false alarm.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Version 12 of GRRM software added a data auditiing feature to check for possible anomolies with timer hardware. The full thread can be found here:

http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6763" target="_blank

I did quite a bit of testing of this new feature and I only had it trigger when I was running "mock" races, where I was using manually generated times or times where I manually stopped the timer with my hands.

I ran about 80 heats on a 4 lane track for our Packs pinewood derby race this year with this version of the software and never had one of these audits trigger for me.

What triggers your timer? Is it a switch or a lazor? Lazor based triggers on timers are notroious for having issues. This audit may have uncovered one.

Re-running the heat would be the recommended step when this audit uncovers a potential issue.

birddog