RaceReplay w/ USB 3.0 cameras

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
kyoo
Journeyman
Journeyman

RaceReplay w/ USB 3.0 cameras

Post by kyoo »

Does anyone use a USB 3.0 camera with RaceReplay? I was planning on using firewire; but my new laptop doesn't have firewire anymore.. instead it has a couple of USB 3.0 ports..

Any recommendations on good quality USB 3.0 cameras? Is this compatible with RaceReplay?

I will probably have to flip our track so my computer table is at the finish line so that my USB 3.0 cable can reach to the camera location..

Related question... is RaceReplay compatible with Windows 8?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RaceReplay w/ USB 3.0 cameras

Post by gpraceman »

kyoo wrote:Any recommendations on good quality USB 3.0 cameras? Is this compatible with RaceReplay?
I see no reason why it would not work. You can always download the software and give it a try with your video camera before purchasing the license.
kyoo wrote:Related question... is RaceReplay compatible with Windows 8?
Yes
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
kyoo
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by kyoo »

sadly, I can't find an affordable usb 3.0 camera..

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Logitech C920.. but it's only usb 2.0.. at least it has h.264 compression, though..

What's the best camera angle for Race Replay?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

kyoo wrote:What's the best camera angle for Race Replay?
It is up to your preference. Personally, I like seeing the whole drama, from the start line to the finish, so I setup the camera at the end of track, pointing towards the start gate.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SirStorm
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SirStorm »

Just because you have a 3.0 port does not mean you need 3.0 camera. We have been getting HD with 2.0 USB just fine for years. You limit is going to bee the 16 foot max length of USB cabling. 3.0 ports are backward compatible with 2.0 and 1.1. Logitech has nice HD web cams for $40-$80 depending on the sale.
TimInOhio
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TimInOhio »

Randy, is there any provision in RaceReply for using an IP camera, since USB cable length is so limited? Thanks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

TimInOhio wrote:Randy, is there any provision in RaceReply for using an IP camera, since USB cable length is so limited? Thanks.
I've never tried one of those cameras personally. If it shows on the list of video devices in the setup screen, you can always give it a try.
Randy Lisano

kyoo
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by kyoo »

I wonder if USB over a USB Extender over cat5e would work for this.. such as one of these:

Gefen USB 2.0 Extender

Kind of a pricey "test".. there are much cheaper ones, but they are also probably complete junk.