GrandPrix RaceManager & RaceReplay on seperate computers

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
tony970
Apprentice
Apprentice

GrandPrix RaceManager & RaceReplay on seperate computers

Post by tony970 »

I am trying to place the GPRM v13 on one computer and the RR v3 on another. I have Windows 8 on both machines. Both programs run on their respoective machines and just for trouble shooting I tried the reverse. All good. Here is where the issues come in.

I tried the Send Message application on both machines and can get the ping to work but not the send message. After trying to set the windows firewalls i finally just shut them all down. No improvement. I did the loop back (127.0.0.1) just to make sure the message was sending and it works to itself. I just can't figre out why it will not go across the network.

For a little more information on the connection, i have used both a netgear switch with no outside connections (just the 2 computers) and a direct cable (cross-wired) between the computers. Again, ping works ok, just no messages and can't control RR from GPRM.

My fall back is to use one machine, but I am hoping to use two to allow a "camera operator" save files, take other shots, etc and not disrupt the actual race.

Any help, advice or links to other areas where this was solved would be really appreciated.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GrandPrix RaceManager & RaceReplay on seperate computers

Post by gpraceman »

Please make sure that you are running the with the latest updates for GPRM V13 and RR V2. There is a recent update to GPRM and SendMessage that affects the communications to RR.

Updates for GPRM and RR can be downloaded from http://grandprix-software-central.com/s ... downloads/" target="_blank
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
tony970
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by tony970 »

I thought I took an update to each program on Sunday. I just opened GPRM and it looks like it is taking another update today. The GPRM version that I now have is 13.0.1125.3. The same for the RR. I thought I took the update on Sunday too. I just opened it also and took another update and it is at version 3.0.916.6. I assume these are now the latest and greatest versions of the programs. The updates on the site does not show the version number. At least not where I can find it.

I will try it with two computers when I get home later.

Has there been any indication on what the issue could be with any previous users that anyone has heard of? If it is my setup or computers I want to eliminate those issues so I don't have them on race day too.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

tony970 wrote:Has there been any indication on what the issue could be with any previous users that anyone has heard of? If it is my setup or computers I want to eliminate those issues so I don't have them on race day too.
The software communicates over Port 1000. Anti-virus, firewall software, and a router's firewall can block that port. So, those are things to check if you cannot get messages across to RR.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
tony970
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by tony970 »

I turned off the Windows Firewall and disabled my anti-virus. I used both a hub (not an active router/switch) and a straight cable (cross-connection) and can ping each PC. I manually set the IP address since I have no DHCP in the loop. I also disabled the wifi adapter to elimiate this from interference and possible false positive by going over my home network.

Is there a way to tell if port 1000 is still being blocked? i guess the SendMessage program actually tests this but I can't find anywhere else to open the network. I get the feeling that there is something Windows 8 is "helping" protect me from, but I can't see where.

Have you or anyone else used two computers with success on Windows 8 PCs?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

tony970 wrote:Have you or anyone else used two computers with success on Windows 8 PCs?
Yes, the latest updates were tested using a Vista computer communicating to an 8 computer. Windows 8 did show a popup when I ran RR and asked if it should allow network communications.
Randy Lisano

tony970
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by tony970 »

It seems Windows 8.1 is not as straight forward as I had hoped. I have a solution, albeit not one I had hoped to use.

It appears that when you disconnect the Windows 8 machine from the internet altogether or do not have a router, that setting the IP addresses are not enough to allow anything but minimal traffic. Windows trusts almost nothing.

I attempted to use a simple switch or just a cross-connect cable to get the two computers to work together. This does not work. The Windows 8 PC's see these connections as Unknown and locks things down. From my way to many hours of research on-line, it appears that you probably need to have the Pro version to get the tools to make the change manually. Since I didn't want to upgrade to Pro, I fell back to the next best thing.

By using a router instead of a simple hub, Windows 8 recognizes the connections. I had an old one on hand. I don't have it plugged to the internet, but then at my race location I will not have internet connection either. So, I connected everything and poof, magic. Windows 8 recognizes the connections and I was able to change it from Public to Private. GPRM and RR both started working as they are supposed to.

So in trying to eliminate the total number of boxes and keep things really simple, I seem to have gone a little to simple for Windows 8 to trust the connection. Use a router and save yourself the trouble. Maybe my time can be used to help someone else same time too.

Thanks !

p.s. If you figure out how to do this without a router please let me know.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

That's some good information. I'll have to make note of it.
Randy Lisano