Multiple computer question

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
jyoung8607
Apprentice
Apprentice

Multiple computer question

Post by jyoung8607 »

Hello everyone! Just ran our second successful race with GPRM 12 and RaceReplay 2, using The Judge on our homemade plywood track. Before that we ran with GPRM 4 for many many years. Everything went well except for having to restart RaceReplay several times. I see that topic has been covered here. We'll probably upgrade to the current release in time for next year's race.

I've read there is some over-the-network support for the GPRM database. Is it okay to have multiple copies of GPRM accessing the database at the same time? I am well-versed in the networking and file sharing setup needed, and the underlying MS Access database technology should be okay with it. I just want to know if the GPRM application will melt down if we try it.

I ask this because we are thinking about ways to improve our race-day workflows. We only have access to our racing venue for a few hours so we're usually pressed for time. We do a voluntary pre-qualification weigh-in a few days before but we don't impound the cars before race day. It would be nice if we could have one laptop hooked up to the track electronics and overhead projector, and another laptop in the registration and judging area. It would enable our registration desk to take car pictures and Pass the racers while we're doing track testing. It would also be nice if judges could be entering and printing the subjectively-judged awards while we're racing.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Multiple computer question

Post by gpraceman »

jyoung8607 wrote:I've read there is some over-the-network support for the GPRM database. Is it okay to have multiple copies of GPRM accessing the database at the same time? I am well-versed in the networking and file sharing setup needed, and the underlying MS Access database technology should be okay with it. I just want to know if the GPRM application will melt down if we try it.
Sharing a data file over a network - Yes. Melting down - No.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
jyoung8607
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jyoung8607 »

gpraceman wrote:Sharing a data file over a network - Yes. Melting down - No.
Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure how to parse it: No it won't melt down (it's OK to do), or no it's not supported (it's not OK to do)?

I can understand if simultaneous access is a problem. If so, can we still easily use a remote station for capturing photos if the track station GPRM doesn't have the database open? We haven't tried to use the racer picture feature yet, so I don't know if they land in the Access database as a binary blob, or in files on local disk.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jyoung8607 wrote:Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure how to parse it: No it won't melt down (it's OK to do), or no it's not supported (it's not OK to do)?
Yes - it is supported to share a data file over a network.
jyoung8607 wrote:I can understand if simultaneous access is a problem.
That usually isn't a problem, as you are not performing the same tasks on the two computers. One is inputting registration and awards information and the second is building and running the race schedules. Of course, you cannot build a schedule until they are done with check-in.
jyoung8607 wrote:If so, can we still easily use a remote station for capturing photos if the track station GPRM doesn't have the database open? We haven't tried to use the racer picture feature yet, so I don't know if they land in the Access database as a binary blob, or in files on local disk.
Photos are not saved to the data file, only the location to the photos is.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
jyoung8607
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jyoung8607 »

gpraceman wrote:That usually isn't a problem, as you are not performing the same tasks on the two computers. One is inputting registration and awards information and the second is building and running the race schedules. Of course, you cannot build a schedule until they are done with check-in.
Sounds great! We will definitely give that a shot next year.
gpraceman wrote:Photos are not saved to the data file, only the location to the photos is.
Okay, so we just need to set both GPRM installations to use Root Folder Location and Racer Photo Location paths that refer to the same storage area.

Thanks!!