GPRM: Excluding racers from points-based race

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

GPRM: Excluding racers from points-based race

Post by Vitamin K »

So, I know this has come up before, but I wanted to check and see how it behaved in the latest version (v.14 as of this writing).

Hypthothetical situation:
- Points based race.
- Masters category.
- Daddy had fun racing, but doesn't really care if he gets a trophy...would rather one of the munchkins take it home.

What's the effect if I exclude Daddy's car from the standings? How do the rest of the standings get recalculated? Does it go back and modify the point spread for all of the races Daddy's car ran in?

This might possibly come up, so I wanna make sure I understand the ramifications.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM: Excluding racers from points-based race

Post by gpraceman »

GPRM does not recalculate points for anyone. It simply does not list anyone excluded on the standings.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

So, presumably, this means that an excluded car would still assert an influence on the rest of the racers, correct?

What would the effect be if there were an option to count a removed car as last place for every race that it raced in? Or would this create problems of its own? :scratching:
gpraceman wrote:GPRM does not recalculate points for anyone. It simply does not list anyone excluded on the standings.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

That is correct. You could manually change the results for the affected heats, if you wish. I'd be very reluctant to have GPRM automatically modify reported results.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Vitamin K wrote:So, presumably, this means that an excluded car would still assert an influence on the rest of the racers, correct?

What would the effect be if there were an option to count a removed car as last place for every race that it raced in? Or would this create problems of its own? :scratching:
gpraceman wrote:GPRM does not recalculate points for anyone. It simply does not list anyone excluded on the standings.
Presume you are using a PN or PPN schedule. Nearly as my analysis has shown, both options create a small disturbance. Neither creates enough disturbance to go to extra trouble. Eliminating the disturbance requires omitting that "excluded car" altogether.

I would add or remove such cars from the group or introduce byes if, in so doing, I could change the chart from PPN to PN or CPN! For usual track sizes, this means a group size of 7, 13, or (maybe) 25 cars.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"