RaceReplay: looking to purchase new camera or capture device

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
smartyman
Pine Head
Pine Head

RaceReplay: looking to purchase new camera or capture device

Post by smartyman »

We've used RaceReplay for the last 2 years at our AWANA Grand Prix and it has been a hit!

However, I'm not satisfied with the quality of video we've gotten since I have an older DV camera operating in WebCam mode connected by USB. I get 320x240 video and it's grainy and blurry.

This year I'd like to upgrade to a better video solution.

Does anybody have advice on which is better: a HD WebCam like the Logitech C920 or an HD video capture device like the StarTech USB3HDCAP or Elgato Game Capture HD60?
smartyman
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: RaceReplay: looking to purchase new camera or capture de

Post by smartyman »

Well I ordered the StarTech USB2HDCAP and will let everyone know if/how it works. Im concerned that I can't find info on whether it supports live streaming in a way that supports RaceReplay. I'm pretty sure the USB 3 model would work since it specifically mentions support for DirectShow but it's quite a bit more expensive so I'll try with the USB 2 model first.
smartyman
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by smartyman »

So I hooked up the StarTech USB2HDCAP (which shows up in Device Manager as Fujitsu H5x Video Capture) and tried to use it as a source in RaceReplay. In RR when I try to configure the device or show live preview I get the error "Unable to initialize video capture graph (Step=110). No such interface supported. Video State: 0".

Any ideas how I can resolve this?

The device also supports custom RTMP if it is possible to somehow to use a live streaming source in RR.

If this device isn't compatible, what should I be looking for in a video capture device to be compatible with RaceReplay? I think I'd prefer a video capture device so I can use it with my HD video camera and have the ability to use long component cables since I'd like to setup the race computer a long ways from the end of the track. But, if there is a better option like using an HD web cam I'd be open to that too.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Does the capture device use H.264 compression? If so, you need to check the appropriate box in the Settings screen.

What settings do you have set (Settings and Advanced Video Settings screens)? I recommend starting out with the "Default" settings in the Advanced Video Settings screen and "(None)" for the Video Compressor Filter. If you can successfully preview, record and replay, then you can play with those settings.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
smartyman
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by smartyman »

It supports h.264 compression so I tried both with and without the box checked and it gave the same error both ways. I wasn't able to preview and even when I click the configure button I get the same error.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Configure button?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
smartyman
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by smartyman »

Sorry I'm not in front of it right now so I'm probably using the wrong term. I mean when you open RR and then click the gear. After choosing the capture device there is a button next to it, maybe an advanced button? When I click that button it gives me the error before taking me to the config/advanced settings screen. It's for step=100 at this point whereas when trying to preview it is for step 110.
smartyman
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by smartyman »

I returned the StarTech and bought the Logitech C920 web cam instead. Now I'm working on figuring out the best combination of settings to use with it.