Any way to display standings calculation method more prominently?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Any way to display standings calculation method more prominently?

Post by Vitamin K »

So, we're running GPRM 14, and if this is addressed in 15+, let me know.

Basically, I'm wondering if the standings calculations should be more visible when you're looking at the race results. One place this has a potential to bite you is if you forget whether or not you've checked the box for "Throw out worst time."

This can make a marked difference on finish order, but there's no visual cue to whether or not it is being done unless you go into the settings menu.

Would it be worthwhile to just display a tooltip or something beneath the standings say something like "All four heats averaged" or "Best three of four heats averaged."?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any way to display standings calculation method more prominently?

Post by gpraceman »

That's something we can consider for the next version of the software.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

I think that would be a nice enhancement to the software. I know I made this mistake the very first time I ran a race using GPRM. I had the setting one way on the PC I was learning the software on (tower at home) and when I installed the software on the laptop to run the race, evidently I forgot to set the setting the way I wanted it. I didn't realize until the race results showed differently when viewed on one PC vs the other. No harm done, but it was a lesson I learned to be sure I had that setting set the way I wanted it.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

This feature will be in the 2016 version of the software. To the right of the standings list, there will be a box that lists the scoring method (Cumulative Time, Average Time, Fastest Time, or Points) and if scoring by Time, it will give an indication if the worst times are being thrown out or not. Thanks to Vitamin K for that great idea.

If anyone has any other suggestions, it isn't too late for them to be considered. I am right in the middle of writing the new version. It is a major redesign to make it far more intuitive and user friendly. Anyone who attends the Mid America race this year will be able to get a sneak peek.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

gpraceman wrote:This feature will be in the 2016 version of the software. To the right of the standings list, there will be a box that lists the scoring method (Cumulative Time, Average Time, Fastest Time, or Points) and if scoring by Time, it will give an indication if the worst times are being thrown out or not. Thanks to Vitamin K for that great idea.

If anyone has any other suggestions, it isn't too late for them to be considered. I am right in the middle of writing the new version. It is a major redesign to make it far more intuitive and user friendly. Anyone who attends the Mid America race this year will be able to get a sneak peek.
Awesome! Thanks for that, Randy!