GPRM: Strategy for calculating top groups?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

GPRM: Strategy for calculating top groups?

Post by Vitamin K »

So we recently had our District Pinewood Derby. One of the awards that we have is a "District Cup" in which the top performing Pack gets their name engraved onto a large cup.

The way that we calculate scores for the District Cup is as follows:

Each Pack can send one car in each of the following categories: Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Web I, Web II, Appearance, Siblings, Adults, Den Chiefs.

For the purposes of calculating the District Cup scores, we ignore Appearance, Siblings, Adults and Den Chiefs.

For each Pack, we take the cumulative time run for each rank in the regular rounds of racing. Then, we drop the highest time, so that only four of the five ranks are tallied. This is so that Packs that were not quite able to send a full roster can still have a shot at the cup.

Cumulative times from the remaining four ranks are tallied for each Pack, and the Pack with the lowest overall takes the cup.

Now, my question is: How can we best get data from GPRM to help us easily calculate this? We were using GPRM 14, and we ended up doing a report to show cumulative times by rank. We exported this as an Excel document and then, after doing a lot of de-merging and column removal on the result, we had something we were able to to walk through reasonably easily...though we still had to do a lot of manual calculations.

Is there a better way to do this? Ideally, it would have been great to get a CSV export that I could just feed to a Python script that would munch through it and spit the result out. Does the latest version of GPRM offer any better export functionality?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM: Strategy for calculating top groups?

Post by gpraceman »

With any version of GPRM, there is the ability to export a report as a CSV file. You would still have some data massaging to do for your specific requirements.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

gpraceman wrote:With any version of GPRM, there is the ability to export a report as a CSV file. You would still have some data massaging to do for your specific requirements.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Huhn, I'll have to look again. It didn't offer a CSV option from my recollection...just an Excel format, that came with a lot of unnecessary visual formatting.

Of course, with the new version of the software using SQLite instead of Access for the data files, maybe it would be easier to have the script pull the data straight from the source.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Sorry, you are correct, there is no CSV export for reports with GPRM V15 and below. However, there is for GPRM V16.

Also, with GPRM V16 and earlier there is a CSV export from each of the tabs of the Main screen.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.