GPRM on Mac

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
shermaner12
Apprentice
Apprentice

GPRM on Mac

Post by shermaner12 »

I see that GPRM now has MAC software. I downloaded the trial demo to try with the PDT i just built from MISC JUNK....

I have run into a snag on the mac though. Since GPRM was created from the PC version it seems built into the software it communicates through com ports. =Normal on a PC=

On GPRM website it says if using an other timer device to install a driver and it should fix this problem... Only issue is the PDT does not seem to have a driver as it is a plug and play arduino.

It seems I should be able to create some sort of virtual port connecting what GPRM is searching for on start up and the Device directory that the USB ports on the mac use that look something like //dev/usbmodem####

Anyone have any suggestions? Id love to just use my mac mini for transport concerns and not really looking to go through the trouble of VMachines as most people seem to be talking about here since there is an actual mac version now and since the PDT was such a great build project on the cheap!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM on Mac

Post by gpraceman »

shermaner12 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:57 pmSince GPRM was created from the PC version it seems built into the software it communicates through com ports. =Normal on a PC=
That is an incorrect assumption. If on a Mac, the installed serial ports will be listed on the Hardware Settings screen as they natively should be.
shermaner12 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:57 pmOn GPRM website it says if using an other timer device to install a driver and it should fix this problem... Only issue is the PDT does not seem to have a driver as it is a plug and play arduino.
All USB devices have drivers. Some OS's will just install these for you automatically (plug and play). However, plug and play doesn't always work as it should.

Arduinos use FTDI drivers. So, I recommend going to the FTDI website and downloading and installing the latest drivers for your version of the macOS and see if that resolves the problem.

This also may be helpful: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ho ... rivers/mac
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
shermaner12
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by shermaner12 »

Ok well I know that the Uno Board I have is being read by the computer because i was able to upload the PDT sketch to it and that is all working fine, and if i use the terminal program I can see it communicating with the mac.

It is an inland clone board rather than a brand name arduino but from what others have said here didnt seem to have an issue with them

I did out of curiosity already install the FTDI driver from thier website but it didnt seem to help.

when i get home today maybe i will just try to uninstall and reinstall everything

Could there be some other problem that when I open the hardware settings page that it throws the error message that it appears no com ports are installed on the computer.

Did I install the software incorrectly maybe? Part of being the demo instead of the full version?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

As long as the USB driver is installed correctly, the port should be listed on the Hardware Settings screen. The Demo version of the software does allow you to fully test out your hardware.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I did post a recent update to Version 17 to help some users who were having problems with GPRM detecting their USB to Serial Adapter on a Mac. If you are still having a problem, try installing the latest update.
Randy Lisano