Moving a racer after heats have been run

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Skywalker Racing
Merchant
Merchant

Moving a racer after heats have been run

Post by Skywalker Racing »

We had our District race today. A racer chose to check his car in by proxy which led to this Arrow of Light being placed in the Lions. The family didn't point this out until we'd run 2 heats with his car in Lions. I did not want to DQ him and have to recreate race schedule that far in, and also did not want to have an empty lane or dummy car there.

We opted to continue letting him run there because his car wasn't competitive anyway. That way, his family was able to leave after Lions (his brother was a Lion), rather than stay till AOL racing.

My question is whether there is a way to move his average time for reporting purposes, so that I can post reports with this Scout in his proper rank.

Thanks in advance!

Scott
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Moving a racer after heats have been run

Post by Speedster »

Scott, I apologize for being Off Topic but I am curious. Under what circumstance is a scout allowed to do this?
Skywalker Racing
Merchant
Merchant

Allowed to do what? Run in a different rank? That was just a mistake by the person who submitted his car for inspection/impound. We wouldn’t have allowed it.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'm sorry. I agree, my question was not clear.
Our Pack and District requires the scout who owns the car to be in uniform, check the car in and race it. In my 35 years of being involved with the Pinewood Derby I have never heard of someone else handling a scouts car. If this was some special circumstance then I would like to bring it up at our next meeting.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

There currently isn't a way to move a racer once racing has started. It is something that I intend to investigate in the off season, to see just how complex that would be. If scoring by times, it may be doable. However, scoring by points is based on who the racer is going head-to-head against, so moving those results to a different group would not be reflective of how well that racer would do in that new group.

You could export the standings data to CSV file and then edit to move the racer to the correct group.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Speedster wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:24 amOur Pack and District requires the scout who owns the car to be in uniform, check the car in and race it. In my 35 years of being involved with the Pinewood Derby I have never heard of someone else handling a scouts car. If this was some special circumstance then I would like to bring it up at our next meeting.
We are not BSA, but over the years, we've had a number kids who came to the workshops and built a car, but then weren't able to attend the derby itself. We still let their cars race. Someone else handled their car during the race (just as someone else always handles my cars during the race, because I'm busy working).

Since the important thing to us is not the race itself, but the workshops and the experience a kid has working with one or more adults to build the car, we've done what we can to accommodate family schedules.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

That's very kind Darin and I know you do a lot for all children.
Our District's attitude is to instill responsibility in the scout. If they're not in uniform, they don't race. That very seldom happens. Never again do I want to hear, "He HAD to go to basketball practice." OK, that's his choice. No one else is going to race his car. That also holds true at the workshops. The scout needs to be there.
My question was to learn why someone else was touching a car that wasn't his. When Skywalker Racing said they had their District Race I assumed it was Scouts. Maybe it was.

Keep up the good work, Darin. I know you've been doing this for a long time.
Skywalker Racing
Merchant
Merchant

Speedster wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:24 am I'm sorry. I agree, my question was not clear.
Our Pack and District requires the scout who owns the car to be in uniform, check the car in and race it. In my 35 years of being involved with the Pinewood Derby I have never heard of someone else handling a scouts car. If this was some special circumstance then I would like to bring it up at our next meeting.
This was sort of an unusual year for us. We were unable to secure a venue in the metro area so decided to host the race at the closest Bass Pro Shops (an Excellent venue for any big Scout event - they are super Scout friendly and superb hosts).

Thing is we hold check-in/inspections on the evening prior so we can take car photos for Showstopper voting, generate and print race schedules, etc. In addition to that, we moved the dates up a week so I could get it done before my wife had our 4th baby (a beautiful daughter of God we delivered yesterday).

Because of all the commotion of venue move and date changes, I just thought it’d be mean to force families who had plans or would have had to drive a long distance to do so two days in a row.

However, having now done so without a single issue other than this one little mixup of rank, I see no reason not to even when things return to normal.
Skywalker Racing
Merchant
Merchant

gpraceman wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:46 am There currently isn't a way to move a racer once racing has started. It is something that I intend to investigate in the off season, to see just how complex that would be. If scoring by times, it may be doable. However, scoring by points is based on who the racer is going head-to-head against, so moving those results to a different group would not be reflective of how well that racer would do in that new group.

You could export the standings data to CSV file and then edit to move the racer to the correct group.
That’s a good work around for now. Thanks Randy!

Would be cool to have an option for times scoring if it’s doable. We’ve run into the same issue at the league where a car is mistakenly raced in the wrong class.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

gpraceman wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:46 am There currently isn't a way to move a racer once racing has started. It is something that I intend to investigate in the off season, to see just how complex that would be. If scoring by times, it may be doable. However, scoring by points is based on who the racer is going head-to-head against, so moving those results to a different group would not be reflective of how well that racer would do in that new group.
Update: This will be a feature of Version 19, if scoring by times. The racer will show up under the new group's roster and they will be reflected on the new group's standings, but the racer's results will remain with the group that they had raced in. V19 will be released right after Labor Day.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.