Help with running a race at 2 different times, but ranked together.

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
frozensneaker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Help with running a race at 2 different times, but ranked together.

Post by frozensneaker »

Hello everyone,

New to the forum. We have a Cub Scout race next week to make up for a missed race in the spring.

We are using GrandPrix Race Manager Pro v19, with a 3 lane track and Fast track timer.

I have a couple questions regarding how to accomplish running the races, while also only having 25 people in the room.

Question 1: We are giving families the option of coming the night before the actual race to run their cars by themselves.
This is in case anyone doesn't want to be in the room with everyone else, but really wants to run their cars in person.

As a test, I tried to register the whole age group, but only pass and schedule the night before racers. This works, except I am unable to schedule the rest of the racers in the age group for the next day unless I delete the existing schedule.
When I tested this, I also lost the race results by deleting the first schedule. Maybe I didn't do this step correctly.

I want to award 1st, 2nd and 3rd place to racers in the same den that came the night before and to the main race.
Meaning I want them to all compete for the same trophies, even though they were not all there at the same time.
When I export the standing reports for the dens, I want the night before racers, and main racers all on the report together.
What is the best way to accomplish this with the software?

Question 2: Our pack normally awards 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies to each Den/age group, and also advances them to the finals for another opportunity to win 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the finals.
We will have 18 grand final racers, (6 dens) and one parent with each one of them to supervise.
Since we can only have 25 people in the room, I need to split the grand finals into 2 groups, and award the trophies after the second group has finished racing. Both groups are competing for the same 3 trophies.
What would be the easiest way to do this one?
I was thinking I could use a separate data file, and only pass the racers that will be in the first half of the grand finals.
Then once those heats are finished, I could manually add the remaining racers, and continue on.
I haven't tested this yet.I am hoping there is a more streamlined way to do this, since I will have everyone waiting for the next race while I prepare the finals roster.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Mike
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with running a race at 2 different times, but ranked together.

Post by gpraceman »

Just saw your post. We've swapped some emails already, so I think you are on the right track now. If you still have some questions, please let me know.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Help with running a race at 2 different times, but ranked together.

Post by Eagle »

Just an FYI.

Racers who are allowed to race their cars individually will have an unfair advantage.

Cars perform differently when their are cars in the other lanes.
Why not, have them drop off their cars and put a live feed up so they can watch that way?

I didn't know - still don't for that matter - how to eliminate a bye in a lane. The car that didn't have a car next to it set the track record. I was told about it and went back and checked things and sure enough his car ran faster with no car next to it then it did with cars next to it.

Not sure how competitive you race is. But, someone who watches these races a lot will know there is an advantage and take it.