GPRM V4 Question

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
bushmg
Apprentice
Apprentice

GPRM V4 Question

Post by bushmg »

Greetings to all.

I just bought Grandprix Race Manager 4.0.3 and after experimenting with its capabilities, I have a (probably very dumb) question.

I have a small Cub Scout Pack with four ranks, and I would like to run each rank separately, then have a finalists race for the Pack Champ. I have put each rank into a "group," and since we only have one den for each rank, each group has one subgroup (e.g., group=Bears, subgroup=Den 12).

OK. We start racing with the Tigers and finish the first round. I have a clear 1st and 2nd place winner, and 3 boys tied for third. My question is: how do I set up the tiebreaker round? If I just push "new round" I may or may not get the right cars entered. Do I have to go back to the registration and indicate that only the three 3rd place cars are "finalists," THEN start the next round?

Once I have clear 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners established for all ranks, I can select the four "grand finalists" and start the "grand finals" round. Everything else is easy!

Thanks!

Mike Bush
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM V4 Question

Post by gpraceman »

You do have a few options to break ties to determine your racers for the Grand Finals round.

The easiest option is to just let the software select the racers to advance to the Grand Finals round, which will include your tied racers.

The second option is to do a simple runoff of the tied racers. In the racing screen you can select "Test / Tie Break" from the group list. This will just show some generic racers on screen. You can then run the heat and note which racer won. Then you can start the Grand Finals round, letting the software advance the top racers (even your tied ones), go to the registration tab and then unselect the losing racers from being Grand Finalists.

A third option is to use the "File Save As" feature to create a copy of your data file. Then you can create a round with just your tied racers. Create a regular schedule for them so they run in every lane and then run your tie breaker round. Go back to your first data file and then manually change the Grand Finalists as mentioned above.

The easiest way to prevent ties, is to run as many runs per lane as you have time for. The more racing, the less chance for ties. To prevent ties in a finals round, you can take a look at our Suggested Race Format, which is in the Quick Start Tutorial and you can also find it at http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... age&pid=17. (Thanks to Stan for helping me put this together.) The CPN charts are really good for determining the trophy order and limiting the possibility for ties.

In Version 5.0, for next year, I do intend to add a more automatic way to run a tiebreaker. If anyone has some input on how they'd like to see the tiebreaking scenario handled in GPRM, let me know.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Watch-out-for-that-frog »

Silly question? How do we set up the grand finals? I had ot make a new group based on the top three in each class. Is there a simple "set up Grand Finals" options I am over looking? :oops:
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Former Pack Master of Pinewood Disaster
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Watch-out-for-that-frog wrote:Silly question? How do we set up the grand finals? I had ot make a new group based on the top three in each class. Is there a simple "set up Grand Finals" options I am over looking? :oops:
Once you are done racing each group, then to start a Grand Finals Round do the following:
  • Click on the "New Round" button. A small Start a New Round screen will pop up.
  • Click on the "Start Grand Finals" button. The top finishers from the last round completed for each race group will be advanced into the roster for the Grand Finals round. A new group will be created named "Grand Finals". If you want, you can change who is in the Grand Finals by going to the Registration Tab.
  • Generate a race schedule for the Grand Finals group, as you did earlier for the other groups.
  • Run the race for the Grand Finals round as you did for the first round of racing.
You can also find this in the Quick Start Tutorial included with GPRM.

If you have the latest release for GPRM (Version 4.0.7) you will be able to change the number of finalists to advance on the "Start a New Round" screen.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Watch-out-for-that-frog »

Thank you for the super fast reply! :wink:
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Former Pack Master of Pinewood Disaster