Binder Winder plans are now available to purchase on ebay.

Anything related to Space Derby racing and event coordination.
Drag'ngoat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Binder Winder plans are now available to purchase on ebay.

Post by Drag'ngoat »

Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cub-Scouts-Space-De ... dZViewItem

The auction is over on ebay however, the plans are still available. If you are interested, please send me a private message.

billbillb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Binder Winder plans are now available to purchase on eba

Post by billbillb »

I would like to get the pland for the binder winder ? Please email me at trainbb@aol.com with the infomation.
Thanks
billbillb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by billbillb »

I do not have the binder winder plans. I was looking for them myself and could not find them.

We ended up using the following:

More Flying + less winding = more fun!
An efficient labor-saver for all our "Just-for-Fun" models.
Electric Winder operates on 2 AA batteries. Resettable counter lets you count winds, so you know exactly when to stop winding. Ideal for Ready-to-Fly kits, Build'N'Fly, Scale Models. This is the only winder you can use with the Flyboy.
Not usable for the Sorcerer or Cruiser.
AG8819 Electric Winder . . . $8.95

http://www.turnertoys.com/G1/balsa_model_supplies.htm

It worked quite well. This got us up and running quickly since it was out first space derby.

The key is to limit the number of rubber bands to (2) and the number of winds to 100. I tested it with 3 rubber bands and more winds. This was the best combination and was sufficient to go the distance with our track

The built in counter helps with this. It takes about 15 seconds to do the 100 winds.

Also, be sure to use alkaline batteries.

We did not experience any problems with the gears stripping or any other problems.

The fitting on the end that the propeller fits into worked really well.

It seemed a lot easier than trying to wind rockets from the back with something else.

We first mount the rockets to the hanger on the track and then wind them up and then put the rockets in the starting gate. This worked well and greatly reduced the chances of the propeller unwinding when trying to attach the rockets to the hangers on the track.

We had two people doing the winding at the same time. Total winding time ( 4 lanes) was 1-2 minutes once the rockets were changed out after each race.

These may be better than the one that people have had problems with from Innova Toys...the Sky Blades Electric Winder.

http://www.innovatoys.com search words: sky blades

At $8.95 each, we decided to buy 4, two for primary and two for backups. Depending on the number of rockets that you will be racing, you can switch out the winders and replace with spare batteries if batteries start to get weak due to frequent use and high load.

At $8.95, your best bet it to buy one and do your own field test to see how many times you can wind a rocket to see if it holds up.

FINAL TIP NOT RELATED TO WINDERS: If you have never done a space derby before, be sure to tell your folks ....DO NOT PAINT THE WHITE PLASTIC MOUNTING POST THAT CONNECTS THE ROCKET TO THE "Y" SHAPED HANGER....if this is painted, it will be VERY difficult to mount and unmount the rockets from the hanger....THIS CAUSED US HUGE DELAYS BETWEEN THE HEATS !!!

Good luck. Bill.
goletter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by goletter »

Could you please email me the plans or can it ne purchased.

Thank You
crlove@ktis.net
Drag'ngoat wrote:Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cub-Scouts-Space-De ... dZViewItem

The auction is over on ebay however, the plans are still available. If you are interested, please send me a private message.

ejj44
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ejj44 »

billbillb wrote:I do not have the binder winder plans. I was looking for them myself and could not find them.

We ended up using the following:

More Flying + less winding = more fun!
An efficient labor-saver for all our "Just-for-Fun" models.
Electric Winder operates on 2 AA batteries. Resettable counter lets you count winds, so you know exactly when to stop winding. Ideal for Ready-to-Fly kits, Build'N'Fly, Scale Models. This is the only winder you can use with the Flyboy.
Not usable for the Sorcerer or Cruiser.
AG8819 Electric Winder . . . $8.95

http://www.turnertoys.com/G1/balsa_model_supplies.htm

It worked quite well. This got us up and running quickly since it was out first space derby.
Did you use this with BSA supplied space derby kits?
jmercmon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jmercmon »

Are these plans still available some where?