Day Camp - Space Derby vs. Rain Gutter Regatta

Anything related to Space Derby racing and event coordination.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Day Camp - Space Derby vs. Rain Gutter Regatta

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Our Pack currently does not hold a Space Derby or a Raingutter Regatta race.

I was thinking that either of these activities might be good to conduct during the week long Day Camp that we hold in the Summer.

Any thoughts on which would better fit that format?
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
rdlongsc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Day Camp - Space Derby vs. Rain Gutter Regatta

Post by rdlongsc »

I would go with the raingutter regatta. This kit is easier for a Cub to assemble with minimal help. We are doing this activity this year for all the Webelos at our Day Camp. I would either make catamarans or leave the hulls just like they come from the box. (Catamarans NEVER lose to monohulls in this event.) Shaping them like a real monohull sailboat makes them more prone to tipping over. Make sure all the boys do 3 things: install the keel, glue the sail to the mast to prevent it from spinning and install lines from the bottom corners of the sail to a point near the stern. Glueing and cupping the sail really improves the boat's efficiency at capturing air.
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Day Camp - Space Derby vs. Rain Gutter Regatta

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Bubba,

For a Day Camp scenerio, I would definately go with a Rain Gutter Regatta for multiple reasons:

First, kits are much easier to assemble. No moving parts. No cutting required. No real sanding required. Boats are very resiliant. I've watched kids drop them on the concrete floor, pick them up, and win the race. Kit can actually be assembled in under 5 minutes. Longest time is going to be waiting for glue to drive, (elmers), and paint. Doing this as a Day Camp project, you don't really have to worry about catamarans as you won't have saws available. In fact, for the Day Camp, I would specifically outlaw them. We don't allow them in the pack race because as rd said, there is no competition between the catamaran and the kit assembled normally.

Second, "race course" is cheap and easy to set up. Two 10' sections of plastic gutter, four endcaps, a tube of silicon and you're ready to go. They can be set on saw horses, picnic tables, any flat surface. No special course or setup required. Holds up well to being "bumped" by exicited scouts.

Lastly, (and probably MOST important for Day Camp), the Regatta can be run with very little leader involvement. Running the Space Derby requires multiple leaders involved for winding, staging, running and retreival. For the Raingutter, one leader running and scoring, and a couple of Den Leaders and you're good to go.

A couple of tips or heads up if you decide to go this route. The age of the scouts does play a bit of a role in their competitiveness. (since the boats are powered by lung power!) We run a Junior Division, (Tigers and Wolves), and a Senior Division, (Bears and Webelos) We didn't let the Juniors race the Seniors. (for Day Camp it might just be a Wolves and Bears Division, and the Webelos by themselves.)

If possible set up a race course for each division. (Juniors are shorter than Seniors!)

Lastly, there really is no way that I know of to run the race other than an elimination bracket. We ran a straightforward DE.

Just my thoughts.

If I can give you any more help, just let me know.

Steve