How to run a Raingutter Regatta? Help for the first timer...

Anything related to Raingutter Regatta racing and event coordination.

Allow split hull boats or not?

Yes
75%
No
No votes
Undecided
25%

Total votes: 4

lurchman1
Apprentice
Apprentice

How to run a Raingutter Regatta? Help for the first timer...

Post by lurchman1 »

OK, need some assistance and direction here. I have been running PWD or Grand Prix events at our church for many years now, but we are now running Master Clubs at our church (find out more info at http://mc.fbceco.org/ ) and one of the events that we would like to tackle for club next year is holding a RR for our younger kids. (Figure start planning and getting advice now will help to make a successful event next year)

I have purchased some "How to run a Regatta" books, but they mostly talk about how to conduct double elimination and demonstrate the brackets and everything, but are somewhat vague when it comes to what I would consider as important items, the rules, etc...

What we are looking for is

1. Recommended rules (and if you can follow those up with why it would be most appreciated. i.e. “We do not allow split hull boats because...”)

2. How to build the "track" or rain gutter.

3. Decorating tips

4. Promotion tips

5. Any other helps and hints for a rookie official looking to start out for scratch (What mistakes have you had that a newbie could learn from so they don't have to experience that same pain?)

Thank you all in advance!
cchambers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How to run a Raingutter Regatta? Help for the first time

Post by cchambers »

Hello:
Just got done doing our regatta this weekend. I was the race director and I am the one who built the race gutters. I will have some pictures later this week. However, I can not post them because I do not have place to park them. I will be happy to email them if you will contact me directly. If you would like, you can go here:

http://www.pack681.info/official_raingu ... a_rule.htm

and print the rules that we used.

To run the race, we used a double elimination bracket system that worked very well. Contact me directly if you would like for me to email the forms to you. cchambers@mindleaders.com
Down-N-Flames
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Down-N-Flames »

We had fun with split hulls, but I will tell you from experience that they blow away the regular boats. Mostly because they don't use the metal keel. This year we separated the classes at my suggestion. We still figured out a way to make the "stock" boat without the keel and did the same thing blowing the others away. Yes I asked three times what was allowed, specifically did you have to use all the pieces. And when I say blow them away, it usually was Austin was done and the other kid at half way!

I would suggest if you did have two classes (which I still support) I would add the stock boat would be uncut with only sand paper modifications and the keel and rudder must be used. You might even add that they can't be modified as I would drill holes in ours if it was up to me.

He won both races with the stock boat way ahead and the catamaran just winning but this year we made the hulls about half the thickness and put a bottom piece of mylar to help catch the win.

I'll post pictures.

Woody
Down-N-Flames
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Down-N-Flames »

here is a pretty good shot of the bottom mylar we added on the catamaran.

this shows the side being very shallow.

We also routed out the boat to reduce weight along with giving a place for air to be trapped.