PVC Gutter Experience needed

Anything related to Raingutter Regatta racing and event coordination.
billbillb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PVC Gutter Experience needed

Post by billbillb »

We are having our first raingutter this year and I would like to get some feedback from the Derby Talk world on how to best set these up to minimize problems.

I have seen pictures of these set up on tables. Also I have seen them with a wood structure on the bottom and sides along the entire length of the gutter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Slotown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: PVC Gutter Experience needed

Post by Slotown »

The original post is kind of old, but I thought I would post anyway to the original.

We rebuilt our gutter tracks this year. We wanted to have four race tracks this year instead of two so the races would run faster. Our original intent was to use 4 inch PVC pipe, but we were worried the keels would scrape the sides. So we went to a large supplier and asked what was available. 6 inch waste pipe in a 20 foot section appeared to be the best buy. We bought one length of this pipe and sawed it in half right there to get it home. We also bought four end caps (they were expensive @ $13/each). At home I ripped the two pipe sections in half using a 60 tooth blade on my table saw. I clamped a simple jig on the table to ensure the pipe would not twist while sawing it in half (ripped one side, rotated and ripped the other side). The PVC cut very nicely with no problems at all. I chopped the end caps in half using my 12 inch miter saw. Again no problems.

Then I glued the split end caps onto the pipes using PVC glue. I really poured it on to get a good seal. I used simple clamps (three on each end) to ensure the caps sealed well with the pipe.

To hold the pipes steady on a simple 8 foot folding table I cut 4x4's into 30 inch leaghts which is the width of a folding table. Then I cut deep V notches on each end almost all the way through the 4x4. These notches form a cradle that hold the pipes. Each table has three of these 4x4 supports.

Setup is very simple, as well as tear down. The only big issues is storage of the "gutters" they are close to ten feet long and take up a fair amount of space even when stacked. It's also important to cover the pipes because sunlight will eventually deteriorate both the pipes and the glue.
Jeff Bittel
Slotown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Slotown »

Follow on.

We ran the race this week. The gutters were great and the set up and tear down took about 10 minutes each. We had forty six boys compete. We ran double elimination at the den group level and then brought forward the top two racers from each group for a Grand Finals. Total time from start to finish about two hours. Not bad.

I have pictures but I cannot figure out how to post them.
Jeff Bittel
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Slotown wrote:I have pictures but I cannot figure out how to post them.
Check out this thread.

http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=10
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

We have been using the 4-inch PVC pipes for several years now and have had no problems. We even built some for the District races and there were no problems there either. We have used table mounted stands/holders in the past but have since built free standing stands (?) for them.

Da Graphite Kid
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

Graphite,

I don't think we are going to get any pictures of the 8" pipes on the tables, any chance you can put up picks of your free standing setup with 4"pipes?
Slotown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Slotown »

Jeff Bittel
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Lowes sells a pvc gutter that is actually shaped like a "U", equal on both sides, not straight up on one side. Four 10" sections, and four end caps, that come with a rubber o-ring seal, under $20.00.

Used adhesive caulk to glue them to 2x4's. We have a couple of set of adjustable height metal sawhorses, (also from Lowes, see a theme? :mrgreen: ) We set one pair lower for the Tigers and Wolves, and one pair higher for the Bears and Webelos, and were able to run both at one time.
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

Slotown,

Nice pics. Looks like the boats have plenty of room to spare and the kids are having a good time. Thanks for putting them up.
derbyspeed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by derbyspeed »

3 Cub Dad wrote:Lowes sells a pvc gutter that is actually shaped like a "U", equal on both sides, not straight up on one side. Four 10" sections, and four end caps, that come with a rubber o-ring seal, under $20.00.
We used the pvc gutters from Lowes, worked well although may not be as rigid as the pipe might be, but cost effective. Used an 8' x 2 1/2' peice of plywood to set them on and then cut 2 x 4's at an angle to slide up against the gutters to hold in place. Screwed the 2 x 4's down to the plywood. Then added two 2 x 4 x 8's under the plywood to make it set on the saw horses nicely. It was easy to shim up the gutters to make them level with them setting on the plywood.

Here are some pictures of last years races.

http://www.derbyspeed.com/7.html
Mike Webb

"Do or Do Not, There is No Try"
jarndt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jarndt »

I am getting ready to build some PVC tracks, and I am trying to decide what size PVC I should use. With the standard BSA boats, you need +/- 1.5" in water depth. I think I can get about 1.75" of water into a 4" PVC pipe split in 2 exactly. Does anyone know of any issues with these assumptions and configuration?

I am also considering 6" or 8" pipe, but I am worried about the width, and the boats will be all over the track. I have heard to fix the width issues they cut a 1/4 of the pipe off, and do not split it to manage the width of the track.

Any advice would be appreciated.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jarndt wrote:I am getting ready to build some PVC tracks, and I am trying to decide what size PVC I should use. With the standard BSA boats, you need +/- 1.5" in water depth. I think I can get about 1.75" of water into a 4" PVC pipe split in 2 exactly. Does anyone know of any issues with these assumptions and configuration?
I inherited a set of gutters from an Awana club that is no more. They are made from 4" PVC pipe and split in half. I have no idea how well it works, as I have never seen them in use. From the looks of it, though, it seems like it would work fine. I'm just holding on to them until I can find a new home for them.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

We made a practice track with some spare 4" PVC pipe split in half and it works very well.