How do you attach rudder??

Anything related to Raingutter Regatta racing and event coordination.
jerryko
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do you attach rudder??

Post by jerryko »

This is our first time to have a Raingutter Regatta. I'm understanding that we need to attach the keel and rudder as far back as possible. The thing I'm want to be sure of before I do it is how do you cut the slots? Just use a razor knife? How deep? How wide? I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How do you attach rudder??

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Jerry,

Do your rules allow for a catamaran or do they specify that it must be single hull?

I'll assume for right now that it needs to be single hull, (if you can use a catamaran, post a comment back and we can give instructions for that, its MUCH faster)

Basic Build

First off, take a ruler and a pencil and draw a line from the pointed tip, (the bow), to the center of the back, (the stern). This is now the bottom of your boat and your centerline. Visually check to make sure that the block is basically even on both sides of the line. Start with the rudder. Positioning it so that it looks like a capital "L" on its side, position it so that the tip just barely extends behind the end of the boat. Mark that position. (Note, your rules probably have a "maximum length", make sure that the rudder doesn't extend so much as to put you beyond the length limit) The reason you want the tip extending beyond the stern is that the races are normally started with the rear of the boat touching the end of the gutter, if it's flat, the surface tension or "suction", can delay the start.

Next place the keel so that the back edge touches the front edge of the rudder, creating one long line. Mark its position. (The diagram shows you putting the keel directly under the mast, trust me, you want it back further!)

Now that you know where they're going, simply take a dull pencil or a ball point pen to create the slot by "drawing" the line back and forth. It's not a hard wood, no need to try to use a razor knife. White glue them in place, hot glue will not hold up on the wood under water. Due to the "L" shape, the depth of the rudder is limited to when the long side of the rudder touches the bottom of the boat. The keel (the metal part), should be set to the same depth.

A couple of other hints. Put the plastic rudder on a hard surface covered with a thin damp cloth and iron it. This straightens out the curves to give you a straight rudder. Second, if you have to use the mast, glue, staple, pin, the sail to the mast. Otherwise the sail spins on the mast and the boat goes nowhere. Next, either "cup" the sail, or bend the edges and attach lines from the edge of the sail to the back of the boat. (This keeps the edges from catching on the gutter)

Lastly, the lower the sail the better! The boats are top heavy. Too high and they tip. We actually lower ours all the way to the deck.

Let me know if you have any questions and let us know how it goes!

3CD
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

On that topic of sails, we actually grove the deck of the boat with a knife and embed the sail into the deck as well as glue it to the side of the hull.

This allow the sail to catch as much of the wind as possible.
jerryko
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jerryko »

Thanks Guys!!!!! :mrgreen:
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

If you are allowed to use styrofoam... for the body...

you can build some super light and very fast boats.

:)

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
derbyspeed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by derbyspeed »

3 Cub Dad wrote:
Now that you know where they're going, simply take a dull pencil or a ball point pen to create the slot by "drawing" the line back and forth. It's not a hard wood, no need to try to use a razor knife. White glue them in place, hot glue will not hold up on the wood under water.
I like to take the Keel (metal part) and use the corner point to make the slot, it gives a perfect fit for rudder and keel. I agree on the white glue, used hot glue - not a good hold.

Have also made 2 slots from front to back on equal sides of the keel/rudder to help the boat drive straight "er" in the water. Used hacksaw for slots to keep them straight. Might be a better way though?
Mike Webb

"Do or Do Not, There is No Try"