A new Raingutter Topic.... Qualifying BOX

Anything related to Raingutter Regatta racing and event coordination.
joyfulheart
Apprentice
Apprentice

A new Raingutter Topic.... Qualifying BOX

Post by joyfulheart »

For pinewood, we have a stand that the car must fit in to pass inspection rrequirements of length/height/etc...

I was told to do something similar for raingutter following our rules. Does anyone have instructions/pictures/tips on making one for RR???

Here's our rules:
1. The boat must be newly built for the current Cub Scouting year. As much as practical, the boat should be substantially built by the Scout with parental supervision. The boat should use every part from the BSA Raingutter Regatta Kit. Additional parts, decals, paint, and glue are permitted.
2. Overall width shall not exceed 2 1/4 inches.
3. Overall length from bow to stern (including rudder) shall not exceed 7.00 inches, nor shorter than 6.50 inches.
4. The mast must be upright and can be no taller than 6.50 inches from the deck surface.
5. The sail may be trimmed and shaped, but may not be larger than the material supplied.
6. The keel and rudder may be glued anywhere on the boat, but cannot cause the boat to exceed 7.00 inches in overall length.

Any ideas??

ALso, what do you think of the rules? I get to decide them, LOL. So anything I should add?

Thanks!!!
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: A new Raingutter Topic.... Qualifying BOX

Post by Darin McGrew »

How deep is the water in the raingutters? I'd include something about how deep the keel and rudder are allowed to be. Although testing that would require a test box filled with water.

You clearly state that the sail may be trimmed and shaped, but how much shaping/reshaping of the hull, keel, or rudder is allowed? At what point is one no longer using "every part from the BSA Raingutter Regatta Kit"? Do these parts have to be use "as intended", or can they be attached to the boat some other way?
joyfulheart
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by joyfulheart »

Ummmm... I dunno. :lol: :lol:

I have the flu. Maybe planning this while on nyquil isn't such a good idea. haha

This is our first year with RR. And I was going to be very lenient of the rules this year, because I honestly don't know enough to enforce. I'm a committee of one. LOL

As far as how deep the raingutters will be-- I'm trying to see if Home Depot or Lowes will donate them. So until (if) they can give us the gutters I wont know how deep things can be.

Do ya'll use go/no go boxes for the RR?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

We don't even use go/no-go boxes for our derby.

I know of only one sailboat race at our church, and none of the kids did anything aggressive with their designs. Since I wasn't involved in running it, I don't know what rules were used or how they were enforced. But I doubt they bothered with a go/no-go box.

The sails in the kits were definitely wider than 2.25 inches though...
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

We made a distinction between the hull and sail in the rules we have used:

1. Boats are to be built from the Official Cub Scout Raingutter Regatta Kits only. Decorations may be added to the boat hull, mast and sail but must not exceed the following specifications:
• Hull Length: No longer than 7 inches, nor shorter than 6 ½ inches.
• Hull Width: No wider than 2 ½ inches (stock kit hulls are approximately 2 inches wide).
• Mast: 6 ½ inches as measured from the top of the mast to the deck.
• Keel: As supplied in kit. May be decorated but may not be altered in shape, size or weight. Must be located on the bottom of the boat hull. Must not stick out farther than 1¼” from the bottom of the boat hull so as to prevent it from dragging on the raingutter during the race.
• Rudder: As supplied in Kit: May be decorated. It may also be sanded but only to flatten it so as to guide the boat on a straight course. It may not be reduced in overall size. Must be located on the bottom of the hull.
• Sail: As supplied in kit. May be decorated but the size and shape may not be altered.
2. The boat is to be built from the Official Cub Scout Raingutter Regatta Kits only. Additions or decorations may be made to the boat hull, mast and sail but must not exceed the rules set forth elsewhere in this document.

Da Graphite Kid